chapter seven

they had been walking for awhile now, and despite bucky's change in behavior, he never once put elaine down. she'd asked plenty of times, but he'd refused, saying it was no trouble.

elaine was watching the street pass when bucky stopped short, eyes widened as a figure emerged from in front of them. zemo stood with his arms crossed while sam sent a hard look to bucky. the figure neared them, and bucky gently set elaine down next to him and softly pushed her behind his tall frame.

she tried to get past him, but his metal arm stopped her. "you're injured. stay behind me so i can protect you if i need to." he said, tone firm. elaine sighed, but remained behind bucky nonetheless.

a tall women emerged, with blonde hair pulled back into a bun and hand over a pistol holstered at her hip. "hello, boys." she spoke, voice smooth and eyes sharp as she scanned over their small group.

"sharon?" sam spoke up, moving out from around bucky with a confused glance to the lady. the women, sharon, sent him a curt nod. "you have a bounty out for your heads, all of you." she said, tone rushed as her eyes scanned each and every one of them.

"come with me. i have a place in the better part of madripoor where all of you can stay." she said, piercing eyes landing on elaine. "i haven't seen her before?" sharon said, tone raised in question. "you don't have to talk as if i'm not standing right here." elaine said, shouldering past bucky and glaring up at the tall woman.

"i'm elaine." she said. sharon nodded, stepping back and gesturing to the road. "c'mon."

soon enough the group arrived at a tall building in the upscale part of madripoor, where people wore expensive looking clothing and the air was laced with a sense of superiority

soon enough the group arrived at a tall building in the upscale part of madripoor, where people wore expensive looking clothing and the air was laced with a sense of superiority. "here we are." sharon said, gesturing to the tall, modern building before them.

"madripoor has been treating you well then, sharon." sam said, looking up at the impressive building in awe. sharon simply shrugged. "make yourselves at home. i'm hosting a party later tonight. dress nicely and don't disturb the guests, i'm trying to make money." she said. "clothing will be sent to your rooms. you'll be in and out in no time, no need to stay here longer than necessary."

"thank you. we all..." sam paused, eyeing zemo and bucky who stood in silence. "appreciate you going out of your way to help us despite what happened in america." sam smiled at her and elaine nodded. "yes, thank you. do you have any first aid supplies?" elaine asked, swaying a bit on uneven feet as bucky reached over to steady her. sharon nodded. "it's in the first bathroom on the fifth floor." elaine thanked her, before walking on shaky legs over to the large elevator and pressing the button for it to open.

sam retreated to the staircase, dragging zemo along with him, while bucky followed suite behind elaine. "you don't need to come with me." she said quietly. he shrugged. "who else will make sure you clean those cuts right?" he asked.