Ch.1

(Please read the description before starting)

Recommended song for chapter: Moonlight Serenade (Glenn Miller)

•••

I sat in the dark room, ready for the film to start. As I waited for the film to begin rolling, I continued to eat my popcorn that sat in my lap. True, I was getting impatient and annoyed but I didn't complain. But some people are just not like that.

The man in front of me thought it was best to yell "play the dumb movie already!"

People like him just make my blood boil. They cant just keep their thoughts to themselves. But as much as I wanted to speak up, I let it go. After a few moments, he goes again, "just roll the film!"

My top lip started to twitch in anger. I couldn't take it any longer. I stood from my seat and said "hey! Why don't you just stay quiet and wait for a few more minutes." The man began to stand from his seat and looked at me. My eyes widened from how big he was. He had a mean look on his face.

He grabbed my arm and dragged me through the side door that led to the alley beside the cinema. He pinned me to the wall, cocked his head to the side and looked me up and down. "A pretty girl like you shouldn't talk to a man like that." I tried to get out of his grip but he was just too strong. "Don't tire yourself sweetheart, you're just not strong enough. No woman is strong enough." Okay, that was it. I've had enough of this scumbag. I gathered the saliva in my mouth and spit it right in his face.

He became absolutely fumed. With one hand, he wiped the saliva from his face. "Ugh, you witch!" He yelled into my face. He brought his hand above him, ready to slap me. I couldn't get out of his hold so I turned my head to the side and shut my eyes shut, preparing for his strike.

When I notice that he didn't hit me, I opened my eyes to someone grabbing him from behind and began to punch him right in the nose. He fell straight to the floor with a bleeding nose. I got a look of the man who punched him...it was Bucky.

"Don't ever speak or touch a woman like that!" Bucky said, kicking him in between every other word.

The guy on the floor struggled to get up, but when he finally did, Bucky kicked him right in his behind. "Get outta here!" Bucky yelled one more time. We both watched the man struggle to run out of this alley.

Bucky started walking towards me, I was still on the wall. He bent down to the floor to grab my purse that fell to the floor when the man pinned me to the wall. "Are you okay, Darlene," he asked me as he handed me my purse.

I looked him in his eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure he didn't hurt you," he asked concernedly.

"Don't worry, I'm fine. Just a little shocked." I looked down at my hands, playing my fingers a bit.

"Well, if you say so. Let's get out of here."

When we reached the Main Street, on the sidewalk, I turn to him. "Look, I really didn't need your help back there. I know how to take care of myself." I was a strong believer of not needing to depend on men. To me and to many other women, we don't need men to save us from danger all the time.

"It didn't seem that way then," he stated.

"I don't need men coming to save me all the time...much less someone who I haven't talked to for over a year and a half."

He sighed. "You have to understand that sometimes it's okay for guys like me to come save you. Those guys like the one back there can seriously hurt you. And if you get hurt, I'll- I mean your family will be devastated." He looked at me with those sad eyes of his. I guess he does make a point. But I won't tell him that.