Ch.4

Recommended song for chapter: Pink Shoe Laces (Dodie Stevens)

•••

My face was stuffed into my pillows. My body was encapsulated by my blankets. All was well. The subtle light of the early sun rising just barely shone on my face through my bare white curtains. I must've been dreaming of far off lands with magic and sorcery to be dreaming this content. Everything was just splendid until the sound of a loud thud was made. As the sound continued in a continuous matter, I started to become annoyed. I brought the pillow to my ears, trying to muffle out the noise. But the sound was just too loud. "Who the hell is out there making that noise," I thought out loud. I angrily sit up in my bed and pick up the small alarm clock on my nightstand. It was only six in the morning! "And at six in the morning!"

"Ugh," I groan. Here's one thing about me. Once I wake up, I can't go back to sleep. My family is well aware of my crankiness when I wake up. I would only be more livid if someone wakes me up appose to me waking up by myself.

I throw my legs off the side of the bed and slip on my slippers. I stomped to my robe that was hanging off the side of the chair in my room. I didn't even bother changing into something or brushing my hair. I just put on my slippers and my robe. I was determined to show whoever was making that noise outside a piece of my mind.

When I reached downstairs, I listened closely to where that sound was coming from. It sounded strangely close. Almost like it was in my backyard. Who would be in my backyard at six in the morning?

When I opened the back door that led to the backyard and onto the porch, I couldn't believe my eyes. My mouth fell right open. It was him. Out of all people to come to my house, it was Bucky. As my eyes were locked onto him, exploring every inch of his exposed body from the waist up, I tightly wrapped the robe that was around me tighter across the chest.

The sweat from the hard labor he was doing, which was cutting up logs of wood, left his bare chest glistening in the morning light. And don't even get me started on those jeans he was wearing. They were hung so low that I imagined things that no young girl should ever imagine. I must've been staring at him for what seemed like hours because he cleared his throat, taking me out of this trance that I seemed to be stuck in.

"Good morning Darlene," he said as he brought the wash cloth that was wrapped around his neck to his forehead to wipe off the sweat.

"Morning," I said somewhat shocked.

"I hope I didn't wake you." He took the wash cloth that was on his shoulders and shoved the corner of it in his pants and left the rest of it hanging out.

I tried my best to only concentrate on his face, but in the seventeen years that I've been alive, I have yet to see any mans body look like that. "I- uh." I swallowed harshly. "You did but it's okay."

"My apologies doll."

I sighed, still trying to keep my eyes on his face. "Umm what are you doing here? I wasn't aware that you would be here chopping wood."

Bucky jabbed the axe into the big cut down tree trunk that he was using to chop the wood up. When he did such a sudden movement like that, I flinched slightly. "Well winter's coming and I know Steve can't do this without passing out." We both chuckled at that part. "And I wanted to help your mom out, so I told her I would spend my Sunday morning here."

Bucky always did care for my mom. To him, she was almost like his second mother. It wasn't until my fathers death that he really started helping her out with some of the work and maintenance around the house. He's the friend that you can count on to help you with anything, no matter the circumstance. I really admired that about him. He continued to chop some more wood as I held my head low, playing with my fingers.