Ch.3

Recommended song for chapter: I don't want to walk without you (Harry James)

•••

It had been awhile since I had seen Bucky last. Three weeks specifically. I knew he had came to the house a couple time during those weeks to spend some time with Stevie, but I was never home when he came. The morning after that night, I had neatly put away Bucky's coat in my closet, ready to be returned when I see him again, like he had promised me. But it never left that closet. I hadn't seen him since.

Today me and my best friends, Danielle and Lizzie, were planning a day just for us. We wanted to just walk around and enjoy the day without a worry. And we did just that. We went to different bakeries and cafes. The biscuits there was absolutely divine. And if I was being completely honest, I just wanted to shove them in my face. That's just how good they were.

We also passed a couple bridal stores. Lizzie and Danielle were in awestruck as they stared at the beautiful bridal gowns on display, completely infatuated. They went on and on about their dream wedding and how one wants a vanilla cake and the other wants a chocolate cake. And how they want their husband to be handsome.

As they kept on talking about their bridal dreams, I just stood there listening. Honestly, the idea of marrying wasn't that interesting to me. Don't get me wrong, I would like to settle down one day with a loving partner. But as of right now, I'm not planning on marrying just yet. Instead, I want to explore the world. I want to compose my own music. I just want to experience life as it is. Explore the wonders and beauties that life has to offer. And if the perfect partner just so happens to come along as I'm doing just that, then be it.

Many women and girls judge for my decision. And they sometimes go as far as gossip with one another around the neighborhood. And for the most part, it would often bring me down, making me feel ashamed for wanting something that isn't common among young women. But my dear mother was always there to cheer me up. She respected my decisions and opinions. She just told me, "as long as you're happy, then no one can tell you you're not successful in life." And to this day, I live life by that.

As we continued to walk around after looking at the bridal gowns, I noticed a familiar face walking down the same sidewalk just in the opposite direction. I look closely to find that it was Bucky...with a girl clung to his arm beside him, both laughing at something one of the, said. My mind was no longer on the conversation that Danielle and Lizzy were having with one another. No, my eyes and mind were locked on them, never breaking contact. They seemed so happy. I noticed that the more she laughed and giggled, the more she held on tighter to his side. And occasionally, resting her head on his arm.

It wasn't until he glanced my way that he noticed me looking at them both, that he gave me a polite smile. All I could do to make myself not look like a creep by staring at them was to copy his same polite smile and slightly wave my hand 'hello'.

I looked over my shoulder as they passed behind me. The girl was the complete opposite of me. Instead of my dark, almost black hair, she had golden blonde locks. And appose to my green eyes, she had blue eyes. Eyes that matched his. She seemed absolutely feminine. Something that every man wants these days. A part of me felt hurt of the sight of them together. More like a feeling of jealousy. I questioned myself, what would I feel jealous of? I have no romantic feelings towards Bucky. And the same goes for him to me. To me, he's just a family friend. A friend you can depend on for anything.

I brushed off that feeling. For the most part, I was happy for them. I should be happy for them. There's no reason me not to be.

"Earth to Darlene," I hear in the distance, muffled by my train of thought. "Hello?" I hear once again. I shoot my head up. I realized that it was Lizzie beside me trying to call my attention.

"I'm sorry Lizzie. What is it?" I say to her.

"Are you okay Darlene? You look like you've seen a ghost." Danielle beside me giggles as well as Lizzie.

"Oh it's nothing. I was just thinking."

"Well I hope you were thinking about how gorgeous that bridal gown would look on you. That dress would look stunning on you." We all laugh together.

"Let's just say I was thinking of that, why don't we." I finally say.

As hard as I tried, as we continued to walk, I tried to stay present. To stay listening to the conversation that my friends were having. But every once in a while, my mind just simply drifted to the sight of Bucky having a wonderful time with that girl. In fact, I knew the girl. The more I thought about how she looked, the more familiar she was. Her name was Kathleen Bell. She was in my fifth grade English class. She was nice girl I'm sure. She was popular among the school. So I wouldn't really talk to her. But that was years ago. Never thought that I would see her again, much less wrapped around someone so close to my family.

The walk back home, my mind was occupied with them. I always knew that Bucky was a ladies man, even when he was younger. But just seeing him now with Kathleen, it was almost hard. I wouldn't say I was jealous. No, it couldn't be. Not in a million years would I ever be jealous of a girl with Bucky. Bucky, to me, was just a close family friend. My brother's best friend.