Ch.2

5 years before
Recommended song for chapter: Swinging on a star (The William bros.)

•••

I was upstairs in my room, playing with my dolls. Just like any child my age would do. But it wasn't until I heard something downstairs that I dropped everything and stopped.

It was Stevie and Bucky laughing and talking. I immediately stood and ran downstairs. I found them half way through the door, leaving.

"Where are you guys going," I ask curiously.

Stevie looked at Bucky who was beside him and then to me. "To the movies."

My eyes widened in excitement and a wide smile grew on my face. I ran to Stevie and begged "Please Stevie. Please take me with you. I'm so bored in this house."

"No darlene, you can't. It's just for us big kids," he explained.

My lips quivered slightly. "Stevie I'm 12! Which is just a year younger than you! And your not even that big!"

"Forget about it Darlene. You're not coming." He started to walk out the door. My head hung down, eyes slowly filling up with tears, and my nose started to become runny. I hated it when he would do this to me. Just because I'm one year younger than him, he wouldn't invite me anywhere with his friends. When I looked up through wet eyelashes, I notice that Bucky was still standing there, looking at me with sad eyes.

But I ignore him and keep my head down. Then I feel a gentle touch on my shoulder. I slowly look back up again to see Bucky standing in front me. "Hey," he tells me. "You'll come next time, Doll." He gives me an apologetic smile. I knew it was a lie. A lie to just make me feel better about the situation. I knew it was a lie because till this day, five years later, they have yet to invite me to the cinema.

Eventually I just gave up and started to go alone.