Chapter Eighteen - Emelia

Emelia

Grace had departed from the two in a whirlwind, much to her own protest. Heath, Damien’s father, immediately swooped her away as soon the trio entered the castle. Damien had so obviously mind-linked him to do so.

                Emelia struggled against the firm grip Damien had on her. His fingers interlocked so tightly with hers that she could’ve sworn they were cemented there. She was willing to go to wherever Damien was taking her, but she hated being manhandled like this.

                “Damien, let go!” Emelia scolded him. He immediately did so, stopping completely and looking to her, nostrils flaring.

                “Do you or do you not want to know more about what my mother just thrust onto you?” His voice was tense - a bad sign.

                “Yes, of course I do. But you do not need to drag me there,” she grumbled. Her mate’s eyes softened but he made no move to apologize. He did, however, keep moving. Emelia followed behind him, wordless as well.

                They strides ceased in front of double doors that were a warm chestnut color. It was pushed open and Damien allowed to walk in before him, shutting and locking the dead bolt after the two were both securely inside.

                “This is the only library that has documentation of the war,” Damien started, causing Emelia to examine her surroundings. Books lined the walls – some ancient looking and some new. It shocked her to know there even was a library, much less a myriad of novels and history books.

                “Okay,” Emelia egged him on.

                “Sit down,” Damien’s hand gestured to a leather chair near the middle of the room. More furniture surrounded it, creating a seating area. Emelia did as she was told, not forgetting to give the alpha a good look at her rolling her eyes.

                “I’m sure you were educated on the Fifth World War in elementary school. My father, the most powerful Alpha at the time ended the fighting in 2855. I was born one year after – my mother wanted to hold off having children until there was peace,” Damien poured himself a drink from a glass bottle, “Do you want some?”

                “I feel like I’ll need it,” Emelia stated warily. Damien lightly chuckled at her joke before handing the glass over.

                “The next war – the final one – took place when I was eight years old. I was sixty in human years, though. As you well know, werewolves age faster then humans, but once they reach full physical maturity, their aging process drops to barely nothing,” Emelia took a large gulp of the drink, causing her face to scrunch up.

                “What is this?”

                “Scotch,” Damien smiled.

                “It’s horrible,” Emelia wiping at her mouth.

                “It’s almost three hundred years old. Horrible my ass,” Damien took a sip of his own, “Anyway, it was the year 2916. I was training to take over for my father as Alpha King when we started hearing about some sort of vampire uprising. It didn’t concern us, seeing as we had defeated them once and now that we were even stronger, it would be even less of a task to put them into place,” Damien said.

                Emelia listened, her ears so perked they could’ve popped off of her head. She leaned forward, both hands wrapping themselves around her glass, waiting for him to continue.