Chapter Eight - Damien

Damien

Emelia opened her eyes slowly, not really noticing where she was. There was a morning haze on her brain which allowed her to sit up and stretch before she remembered her current situation. She groaned loudly, causing the man on the couch to awaken as well. The woman stared at him, not with hatred or confusion, but she just looked at him. Damien noticed her gaze and met her eyes.

“Good morning, Emelia,” he murmured, slightly smirking as he reached for the blanket he slept with and started to fold it.

“Damien,” she nodded. It was silent for a few moments as the Alpha fixed his bed. Emelia didn’t know what to do with herself; there was no one to order around and no paperwork to look at. She simply clasped her hands together and waited for him to finish.

“What would you like to do today?” He asked, turning around. He was surprised to see that she was in the same position, but he didn’t mention it. Damien predicted that she would’ve tried to slip out in the dead of night, and when that didn’t happen, he expected her to at least be pestering him this morning about something – anything.

“I’d like to call my family,” She stated, and she watched as he nodded.

“We can at least do that after we eat breakfast, yes? Maybe I’ll show you around the castle.”

“I’d ask if you had something to do, Alpha-wise, but since the world is already in shambles I guess one extra day off won’t kill anyone. Excuse me - much more anyones,” Damien chuckled softly to himself which only angered Emelia but she stayed silent.

“We could talk about that today if you’d like,” he offered. Emelia wondered if she had even heard him right, so she asked.

“Talk about what, exactly?”

“The death toll. Humans. The world. Sorry - the mere pieces of the world that I have left behind in my wake,” he smiled and Emelia subconsciously decided that he looked more handsome that way. His eyes seemed more alive when the corners of his mouth were raised.

“I would like that,” Emelia simply responded. She opened her mouth to begin the discussion now but Damien held up his hand which caused her to roll her eyes. She didn’t like to be shushed or cut off.

“It can wait until after we eat. We have all day, you know,” Emelia didn’t want to write off the topic, but she agreed, realizing that she was starving. Damien started towards the door until he realized that she wasn’t following, “Are you coming?”

“I don’t have proper clothes on, Damien,” She huffed and Damien remembered that she was wearing his clothes. Luca purred within him but Damien tried to ignore him.

“Would you like for me to ask another female for some bottoms or-“ Emelia cut him off.

“It’s fine. I’ll just wear my clothes from yesterday,” Damien wanted to protest, seeing as those clothes were dirty and Emelia would most definitely be uncomfortable in them. Yet, he just nodded and left the room, giving her some privacy.

Emelia quickly changed and was pleasantly surprised to find that the clothes only smelled minimally. She opened the door to the hallway and jumped when she saw Damien standing so close. He had been leaning on the door but he spun around quickly, leaving the two only centimeters apart. Emelia’s movements were stuttered as she tucked her hair behind her ear and stepped around the wolf. She hated how he made her feel and she was uncomfortable with how out of sync her mind and body were. They each wanted different things, but it was a fair fight.

Damien easily caught up to her while he tried to make small talk. Emelia wasn’t up for chit chat, so she gave him one word answers as she looked around the vast luxuries that the Alpha King lived with every day.