𝟎𝟎𝟏. a witch and the letter

❝  a witch and the letter  ❞

a witch and the letter

The Williams household was quiet as usual. Prive Drive hadn't changed in a decade. Every household looked the same. Beige and posh. The gardens were either dried out or just turned into parking. Bethany Williams however, loved to garden. She absolutely adored planting seeds and letting the flowers grow.

Bethany had a daughter, well adopted. Her name was Euphemia. Ten years ago, her husband, Steve found her on her front porch. She was placed in a small crib and she was identified by her name and date of birth.

Steve and Bethany had been trying for a baby for years. It seemed as though Euphemia brought the light back into their world. However, they never really changed her name. While Steve wanted her to live their surname, Bethany contradicted. She felt the need to bring in the 'adopted' card to her friends and family.

Euphemia was well-loved by the couple. They nurtured her and played with her. Everything was going well, until the accident. Steve was out of town, visiting his family when Bethany got a call. Apparently, there was a fire in the house. Steve, along with his mum and dad hadn't survived.

Many would say that Bethany had changed post his death. Euphemia didn't really think so. She was still her mother, just a little different. As the years passed, things started to change.

Euphemia, now lay on her bed, listening to her mixtape. 31st July 1991.

It wasn't her worst birthday yet, however, it hadn't been going well either. Just last night, her friend, Belle was shifting to France. She celebrated her birthday with her last week before everyone went for their own summer holidays. The senior school hadn't been helping either. It also seemed that her mother forgot to wish her this year.

"Euphemia!" Bethany yelled, "please make some breakfast dearie. Beverley won't be available this month."

Euphemia groaned and lazily got off the bed. Flipping her mixtape back into the bed, she started toasting the bread and bacon.

"Don't forget to water my flowers!"

Euphemia rolled her eyes. She was extremely sleepy after last night. She broke the eggs and took off the bacon.

"Mother," said Euphemia, "eggs and bacon on the table."

Swaying, Bethany entered the kitchen and sat in the dining. She sighed loudly.

Euphemia ignored and toasted the bread. Bethany sighed, again, much more loudly. Euphemia clenched her fists and turned towards her, forcing a smile.

"Any problem, mother?"

Bethany pressed her lips, "dearie, how much oil did you put on the bacon. It's a mess."

"I didn't," said Euphemia bluntly, "bacon doesn't require oil. It has too much fat."