TWO

As Luna slept, I pulled a chair out of one of the dusty corners of the massive cellar and sat down. This is my Christmas break. I assume the Snatchers must have picked Luna up sometime on the train.

I wouldn't have seen it. I left a few days early on business. My family told Minerva that they needed me to fulfill some pre-Christmas traditions. I honestly don't think she bought it at all. She knows who we are. She knows our business. I wouldn't put it past her to be plotting against us at this very moment. I wouldn't much care either.

Nevertheless, she let me go early, so I never had to witness the kidnapping of Luna Lovegood. Thank Merlin for that. I think if I felt any more guilt right now I'd spontaneously combust. It's bad enough having to hold her here against her will.

Besides that, Luna is the same. A little more strong willed maybe. Possibly a bit more defensive. Not shocking. She's had to put up with not just mine, but everyone's shit for a long time. Maybe she finally got tired of being so nice all of the time. Even Potter called her Loony Lovegood.

Through all of the baseless insults I directed towards her, I never called her loony. The only reason for that being, I didn't think she was. I thought she was as smart as could be. I really looked up to her, though I never showed it. She could have been of such great influence towards me if I would have just let her in. Maybe I still have a chance to redeem myself. Even if only in her eyes, that's more than I thought I would ever get.

The most significant memory I have of Luna was somewhere in third year. She had found me speaking to moaning myrtle with tears streaming down my face. I was mortified. I threatened her to never speak about it again. She never did. I felt I owed her a debt after that, so I kept an eye out for an opportunity to fulfill it.

A few months afterward, I was walking down an empty corridor and I found her sitting in an alcove, sobbing. I stood there for a while, not knowing what to do. I had a debt to pay but that didn't mean I knew how. After a moment of sulking for having to commit such an embarrassing act of kindness, I sat on the velvety, cushioned seat beside her. She met my eyes a few times beneath her long, platinum eyelashes, but she had apparently decided that I had cruel intentions and refused to lift her head from her arms, which had been sitting atop her knees and folded across her chest.

I began to grow more and more uncomfortable through the silence and her occasional sniffles, but it seemed that having someone near was exactly what she needed, because her breathing became more even and she halted her anxiously shifting feet. All too suddenly, she stood and began dabbing at the corners of her eyes for the stubborn tears that resided there even after she stopped crying.

"Thank you, Draco." And with that, she strode away with just a bit less enthusiasm than usual.

I had wondered why she was crying, but just sitting there while she cried was a lot for me. I'm not usually the comforting sort. I certainly wasn't going to entertain the notion she seemed to have forged in her mind that I actually cared. Truthfully, I didn't.

Emphasis on the past tense.

Now, sitting in this dusty, old cellar watching her sleep, I have found that I do care for her. Sorting through all of my memories of her for the past few hours has forced me to realize that she may be one of the only people that ever thought I could change or care about anyone but myself. And I think that deep down, that may be what made me care or want to change. That might be a little too fast of an epiphany but I feel that it's true.

Just as I came to my expeditious conclusion, Luna began stirring in her small, blue cocoon.

"Why good morning little night-owl." I said mockingly.