THREE

Now that we finally had some common ground to stand on, interactions between Luna and I became less tense. We could finally have a normal conversation or two without the tragedy of wizarding politics coming into play.

"You seemed quite invested in Quidditch back at school." she said with tired enthusiasm.

"Yes, I quite enjoy Quidditch." I frowned into my half of the sandwich I had split with her. We had not spoken about something so meaningless as school sports before. "More than just the sport alone, I assume?" Luna questioned while picking at the hem of her dreadfully dirty dress.

"I- enjoy the adrenaline rush. When I'm so close to being hit with a bludger or when I'm one grab away from catching the golden snitch. The only thing that keeps me from fully enjoying it is the Gryffindor v Slytherin games." Luna nodded in a knowing manner.

"I can imagine why." She smirked. "Slytherins aren't the only ones who are looked past during house competitions. I can't even remember a time when Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff have won either."

"Glad to know us evil snakes are in with the know-it-all bookworms." I smiled. "What about you?" She glanced up, clearly in surprise at the notion that I would ask such a thing. I rolled my eyes. "What are you interested in, Lovegood?"

".... I find great interest in nature. I like to run barefoot in rain puddles and- I like to dance with the trees."

I let out a chuckle. "What did I expect?" I laughed again. She smiled. "Nothing less than that, I hope." She quirked a brow and then let out a giggle of her own.

"Not at all.. I personally find quite a bit of joy in the rain as well." I felt my smile fade into a bit of a sad one. "Maybe once all of this is over we can dance in the puddles together." Her smile only grew. "I believe that we will. Don't think I won't hold you to it."

*

We're finally breaking through. I was a bit opposed to the idea of having to interact with her so much on a daily basis but it's actually quite nice. It's been about two weeks since the quidditch conversation. Maybe it wouldn't seem like much to someone else, but this is the closest I've been with anyone since I can remember.

I've given Luna as nice a bed I could without raising suspicion of alliance between the two of us, although we haven't discussed any sort of political affairs. I also replaced that hideous rag she called a dress. I figure she may as well be offered some sort of comfort in this hellish tundra of a home. She now wears a warm, black turtleneck jumper and a pair of black knit trousers.

I think she appreciates the warmth that the black offers. She hasn't made any complaints about the lack of color in her new outfit. I can only assume that means she is happy with it. How very un-Luna-like...

Last week I finally got tired of sitting in that stiff, old, back-breaking chair and invited myself into Luna's cell. It's become a normal thing for us to sit on her bed together and discuss anything and everything to get away from the tragedy that is our lives outside of this cellar.

Today we were sitting in the center of the bed eating a bag of crisps that I had asked Dobby to fetch me. Potter found a loophole of sorts and set him free a few years back, but Dobby is a friend of mine. He comes to visit me at random times when he assumes that I am alone. It has become a useful tool to keep Luna and I up and running. I'm sure she appreciates the interaction with someone other than me, even a house elf.

I don't like going upstairs if I can help it, so Dobby apparates in and out of the cellar to help me out every now and again. I try not to make too much of a habit out of asking for his assistance, but he is very persistent.

Anyways, we were sitting on the bed eating a bag of crisps. "Are we ever going to make it out of here?" It sounded like a rhetorical question. "We?" I asked back.

"Well of course, Draco. You make it sound like you hate me enough to stay here." She said with a scowl. "It's not that." I told her sheepishly. "I don't want to leave my mum. I might as well stick a cyanide tablet down her throat if that were the case. She'd be as good as dead. And I don't hate you" I sneered with the last sentence. Why should I even have to say that? I think I've made it bloody well obvious that I don't. Hate. Luna. Lovegood.

Luna looked up at me with wide eyes. "You would stay here for your mother?" She wore a genuine expression of grief as she asked.

I scoffed. "Of course I would. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my mum. She tolerates my father and I but she isn't a death eater. She doesn't believe in it." Pausing, I went on. "I know she seems stiff and cold to the average witch or wizard, but she is anything but on the inside. She's had to wear a brave face during the war... but before that, she was a star."

*

Luna Lovegood

I can see a glimmer in his eyes as he speaks about his mother. A star. Ironic, isn't that? She is a star to him but she named him after a constellation. They are a pair of sorts. A pair of stars. I wish I could witness what he is describing. I didn't have much time with my mother. I wish for Draco all the time in the world with his mother. I've noticed a few wrackspurts buzzing around him at times. They cause him to be distracted all the time and zone out into a dreamy state. They seem to have vanished now.

*

Draco Malfoy

"That's what she always calls me. I never really understood it until now. A star- her star. I guess if anyone were to be my star, it would be her." I explained, more to myself than to Luna.

"You are both stars, then." She nodded in approval.

***