08|Trancending Time

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"But I must admit I miss youquite terribly

quite terribly. The world is
too quiet without you nearby."
~Lemony Snicket
᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

Small turtle ducks quacked. They floated on the small pond content. Cherry blossoms drifted down and landed on the cool water surface.

On a stone by the pond's side, sat Akemi crosslegged. Her eyes closed, one fist pressed against her other palm, her black hair was let down and gently moved with the wind.

Across the princess sat an older man, his hair had disappeared over the years and his beard had grown white. His face had been withered by time. Two of his fists were pressed together and his eyes were closed, much like Akemi's.

Minutes passed before Akemi let out a deep sigh. "This is not working," She huffed. Her shoulders slacked and she leaned back onto the rock. The old man opened his eyes. "That is because you don't want it to work."

"I do want it to work!"

The lips of the monk pulled up a little. "You only think you want it to work," Akemi furrowed her brow at him. The monk continued before the teenager could interrupt him. "The Guardian State can only be achieved by self awareness and mental peace."

Akemi sat up again and peered at the turtle ducks. "So it's impossible."

"Self awareness and peace of the mind can only be accomplished if you accept your destiny, Guardian." The monk leaned down and gently scooped up a cherry blossom and set it down on an adult turtle duck. The turtle duck almost seemed to smile and swam to their friends, showing off their soft pink crown.

"My destiny is to find the Avatar and help the Fire Nation win this war," Akemi said. Her voice had almost an automated tone. "That is the destiny you father wishes for you."

Akemi clenched her jaw and fists for a few moments, refusing to reply.

Eventually the young princess took off her shoes, tied her hair, and rose to her feet. She moved onto the grass and turned to her master. The monk looked at her for a few seconds before getting up and standing beside her. He moved into a position and Akemi followed suit.

◇◆◈◆◇

"You are the air to my spark, you make me grow and without you I fade away," Akemi read out loud. She rolled her eyes. "Lu, I don't have the time for this, I have to sit in on a council meeting," Akemi spoke up. She pushed the paper into Lu Ten's hands and tried to walk past him.