15|The Old Lie

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"Tomorrow died yesterday, can't you see?The vultures are here"-HannahDottier᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

The vultures are here"
-HannahDottier
᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

After sleeping in a simple but welcomed bed for the first time in days, Akemi woke up with warm rays on her face. She pushed herself up from the thin mattress on some wooden logs in a corner of a small room. Beside the bed sat a small bowl of tea, which Akemi gingerly took and drank, savouring the amazing flavour that her uncle would praise.

The girl sat up and wiggled her feet into the soft whale-lion skin boots. Considering that winter was ending she probably should find more airy clothes for herself and shoes to match the warmer temperatures and Earth Kingdom climate. A problem for later. She collected her smooth black hair into a high ponytail, and her beaded braid dangled amidst the other strands.

Akemi slid open the rice paper door and entered the main room of the house where she was staying. One side of the room was nearly wholly open with wooden pillars creating the illusion of windows. The view showed lush greenery and a pond with some stones speckled around the setting.

"You're up," A voice piped up, and Akemi turned to come face-to-face with her host, a plump woman with wide-set eyes and greying hair. Burn scars dotted her limbs and Akemi could tell they were firebending-inflicted rather than regular fire burns. The woman's shoulders were squared back, her back straight and chin raised, all of which had confirmed Akemi's suspicions that the woman had been military at one point. "Have some rice." Jie held up the small bowl she held in her large hands.

The Fire Nation girl took the bowl with two hands and folded her knees underneath herself as she sat down on one of the pillows by a low table. "Thank you," She said, bowing her head."

Jie rested her hands on her hips and eyed the Water Tribe attire on the girl before her. "You don't really pass for a member of the Water Tribe, your eyes and skin don't match," Jie muttered. "We can't do anything about your eyes, but you could pass for an Earth Kingdom girl with the right clothes," Akemi glanced up as she pushed some rice into her mouth. "I should still have some of my daughter's old clothes around here." She pouted.

"I didn't know you had a daughter," Akemi said softly as she finished her food and set down the bowl.

Jie looked back at Akemi with hardened eyes. "I don't have one anymore, she died in battle."

"I'm sorry," Akemi pursed her lips and looked away from Jie's large form. "Where were you fighting?" She inquired, hoping to flee from the pressure. For as much as Akemi was the Guardian, she was also a Fire Nation princess and someone who had gone to battle for her nation and thus was also the enemy of the Earth Kingdom.

"To the west of Humo," Jie answered. Humo was a city not too far from the Isle of the Guardian, it made sense it had been attacked since it was relatively close to the Fire Nation. As for Jie being there, Humo wasn't too far away from the Guardian Isle which was located to the north of Omashu. "Doesn't matter anymore, we'll get you some new clothes tomorrow, now it's time you meet the rest."