10|Zuko's Defiance

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

"The truth is, I pretend to bea cynic, but I am really a dreamerwho is terrified of wanting something she may never have

a cynic, but I am really a dreamer
who is terrified of wanting something
she may never have."
~Joanna Hoffman
᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

As Sokka, Katara, Aang  found a Southern Water Tribe boat, Akemi was seated on a cushion by a low table with her uncle and brother.

"Aahh!" Iroh moaned, enjoying his tea more than any man should. "See Prince Zuko, a moment of quiet is good for your mental well-being." Before his nephew could protest, Iroh poured the prince a cup of tea. Akemi took a small sip of her tea and just as her brother lifted his cup, the ship suddenly jerked.

While Zuko jumped to his feet and marched away to see what was going on, Akemi moved her hands and returned her tea to Zuko's tea cup. No way would she drink dirty tea.

Only after finishing her tea, Akemi rose to her feet and made her way to the main deck. She was just in time to see a shirshu paralyse a man who had apparently been hiding on the Fire Nation boat.

Zuko's amber eyes stared at the paralysed stowaway. "He's paralysed," He breathed out. The beautiful woman who had been riding the shirshu, lifted the stowaway over her shoulder as if he weighed less than a sack of rice. "Only temporarily. The toxins will wear off in about an hour. But by then, he'll be in jail and I'll have my money." The woman flicked her black hair, which seemed nearly identical to Akemi's, over her shoulder and walked to her shirshu.

The academic side of Zuko bubbled up and so he asked just how the woman had found the stowaway on his ship. As she mounted her shirshu, she answered. "My shirshu can smell a rat a continent away."

Iroh nodded amazed. "Well, I'm impressed." And before his nephew or niece could make any comment, a soldier ran up to them with a messenger hawk.

Nose almost sweeping the floor, the soldier bowed and presented a scroll to Akemi. "A message just came in for you, Your Highness." The princess took the scroll without a second thought but the contents made her jaw and fists clench before she turned on her heel. "Have my bags packed, I leave for Commander Zeref's outpost within the hour."

The news was quite unpleasant to say the least. Zuko's eyes flickered between June and Akemi, both of whom were walking away from him, an idea formed in his head. "You!" The soldier who had been addressed by Zuko, straightened his back. "Follow that girl." The soldier gave a nod and sped off after the bounty hunter.

Memories of the times that Akemi had returned from her visits to Zeref flooded Zuko's mind. He couldn't let her go through that. Not again. No more. 

"Akemi wait!"

His elder sister payed him no mind and continued to walk to her room.

"Kemi, I order you to wait!"

A small smirk pulled onto Akemi's lips. "You're the banished prince Zuzu, not me," She turned around to look down at Zuko. "I don't take orders from you." Before Akemi could turn and walk away again, Zuko reached out and grabbed her wrist. All signs of 'playful' teasing disappeared from Akemi's face and she scowled at Zuko. "Leg go."