Find her for me

(Roe's P.O.V.)
I turned my head to the side in curiosity. I wanted to know how he knew my name. "That's what your daddy called you, right?" He asked. I nodded at him. Daddy called me Little Roe, well atleast thats what mom said as she read the letter of him to me. I remember hearing the sentence "I'll see you soon, Little Roe" when mom read me before bed. I remembered her telling stories of daddy and showing pictures of him. I waited so long for him. But then the three men came. And I remember mom falling to the ground with tears. As two men calmed her down. Another came to me and handed me daddy's nametag and told me to take care of them. After that it didnt take long before mom got sick and not 6 month later I was placed in the orphanage. And now we are here. Sitting in a windowcill looking up at a man he knew my dad. He thought for a second before opening his mouth. "Mr Shelby" I turned my head and saw head-nurse Angela stand close to us.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
I looked down at Roelynn. Seeing her immediatly hide behind Mr Monty again. I had a feeling it was because of the Head-Nurse. "Im sorry to inform you. But it's getting late and we want to finish up" Angela told me with a fake smile. When I looked back at Roe she was already standing up ready to walk over to the other kids, who soon get ready to go to bed. I looked back at Angela before standing up. "Just so you know" I said and leaned in closer "we will find out if these kids get treated badly". I saw her tense up slightly but she quickly covered it up. "Goodnight Mr Shelby" she replied before walking away towards the group of kids. I followed her and looked down to Roelynn. She carefully waved goodbye to me before following the group.

I arrived home and after having a drink I went to bed. It took some time but I eventually fell asleep. But I had another nightmare. I was back in France, back digging these god awfull tunnels. Arthur, me, Danny Whizz-Bang, Freddie Thorne, Jeremiah, John and Steve Eden where together. Steve was the first to hear the enemy and he softly had wanred us. But an explosion had caused the enemy to burst through with guns raising up. Steve yelled to take cover as he threw a grenade. It exploded resulting in killing a bunch of enemy soldier. John threw our guns at us and we started to fire. We had killed every single one of them and I loomed to see if my group was alright. And they where. I looked over at Steve and he smiled. But it soon fell and he told me to duck. I ducked and he shot the last enemy straight through the head. But when I looked back to Steve. I saw that he was holding his stomach and blood was rapidly flowing through his fingers. He looked up at me with a scared look. "No. No!" I yelled and ran to him to catch him before he fell. I went down on my knees and told the rest to get a medic. But then I remembered, our medic had died in an earlier fight. I heard him say my name and I looked down. With shaking hand he grabbed a photo that was soaked in his blood and he handed it to me. "Ple...please.. find her for me" Steve said softly. I looked down and saw a baby girl with green eyes. "Find my Little Roe. And protect her like I should've done" he said with a slight tear in his eyes and a sad smile. "No. You're gonna go home. And when you get there your little girl will run to the door and greet you with a big hug" I told him, basically ordering him not to give up. He weakly shook his head and pushed the photo to my chest. When Steve died in my arms, every single one of us made the promise to find the girl named Little Roe. But the war took longer than expected and most of us forgot. But when I saw those eyes again I knew she was Little Roe. And seeing those dogtaggs made it final. She was the child I was looking for. I had woken up and opened the drawer to take out the picture of baby Roelynn. It was still slightly tinted from Steve's blood. I looked up "I found her, ol friend. And I'll keep my promise to protect her with everthing I have".

Published: 15th of April 2021