Part Nine

A/N: In nicest way possible, I hope this makes y'all cry, cause I almost cried writing it. RIP Boromir. Also, apparently I forgot to post this on here, even though it's been posted for 8 months on my other platforms WHOOPS. I just realized because I was about to post the newest part. So... once again, in the nicest way possible, I hope this part makes you cry...

-

The Falls of Rauros raged just beyond the shore where Aragorn ordered them to disembark. The rocky riverbank would not provide the most comfortable of respite, but no doubt their road would only grow harsher from there on. The Fellowship climbed from the boats and began to unpack the necessary supplies.

"We cross the lake at nightfall," Aragorn called. "Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the North."

"Oh, yes?" Gimli scoffed. "Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil... an impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks. And after that, it gets even better! A festering, stinking marshland, as far as the eye can see."

"That is our road," Aragorn replied. "I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf."

Gimli began to sputter indignantly to Pippin, but Laradel was focused on Legolas. His gaze was fixed upon the forest beside them, and whatever he sensed did not seem to sit will with him.

Legolas turned to Aragorn, glancing at Laradel, who stood beside him.

Quietly, he spoke to the both of them.

"We should leave now."

"No," said Aragorn. "Orcs patrol the Eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness."

"It is not the Eastern shore that worries me," Legolas replied. "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near... I can feel it." He swiftly locked eyes with Laradel. "You sense it as well, do you not?"

For a moment, the intensity of his gaze seemed to slow her thoughts. When she had regained her senses, she nodded.

"Yes..." she said tentatively. "But I cannot be certain of what I feel."

Aragorn looked at her carefully.

"Often you have sensed more than you know... Think back upon those times, and tell me what it is that burdens you."

Laradel hesitated. Could it be that her Elvish senses were more prominent than she had thought?

"I carry a weighted dread within my heart," she admitted at last. "Akin to what I felt that Durin's day when the dragon was awoken... the day gold sickness began to claim my father's heart. And again, I felt it the day he fell in battle... and that day in Moria when Gandalf fell. Long have I ignored these omens, dismissing them as childish fears... but in all truth, Aragorn, I believe a darkness awaits us here on this shore. Though I cannot say when it plans to strike..."

Before he or Legolas could reply, their attention was drawn by Merry's exclamation.

"Where's Frodo?"

Laradel turned to look, and it was at that moment that a second absence struck her.

"Where is Boromir?"

A shadow passed over Aragorn's face.

"I shall go to find them," he said. "Legolas, Laradel, keep your gaze sharp."

He had been gone mere minutes when Laradel's feeling of dread intensified.

"I'm going after him. Make certain the Hobbits keep out of sight," she said, not even looking back as she took off into the woods.