Part Twelve

Let me just say that researching Tolkien Elf courting methods can lead you to some weird rabbitholes. Also, I was thinking to myself, "surely my upload schedule isn't THAT terrible, right?" then saw this hasn't been updated for like six months, oops. Hopefully the fluff is enough to make up for the delay! Enjoy :)

-

They made camp at nightfall. Aragorn got a fire started, and Laradel made a spot to bed down in the grass.

On the horizon, the fires of Mordor lit an angry halo. She suppressed a shudder, and turned her gaze away.

Elves didn't need to sleep nearly as often as Men or Dwarves, but she found the ritual comforting. It reminded her of those dark nights with Thorin and the Company. And after the long days of hunting the Orcs for the sake of Merry and Pippin, she reasoned, it would be a wise decision.

Aragorn moved away to speak with Gandalf, and a new presence settled in beside her.

Legolas.

She felt his hand at her shoulder and suppressed a shiver. Was he acclimating to the ways of Men and Dwarves, or did his touch mean something more?

"Are you alright?" he asked her softly. "Much has occurred in recent days."

She thought for a moment.

"I am glad to hear of Merry and Pippin safe," she said at last. "But I am troubled by the darkness which ensnares Rohan's king."

A glint in his eyes told her he understood.

"Because of your father?"

She nodded.

His hand twitched briefly, as if he longed to draw her closer, but she could sense he still struggled with the instincts of Elvish propriety. Instead, he settled for more words of comfort.

"We shall do what we can for King Theoden."

"We shall," she repeated softly, gazing into his eyes.

A question lingered there within, and though she wished to lean into him, she still feared misinterpreting his intentions. And still, that something which she saw in his eyes bid her to wonder...

"These are dark times," she said softly, studying his face. "We ought to hold tightly to those for whom we care greatly..."

She saw words form and die on his lips, as he seemed to search for the right way to say what he intended.

"What do you know of Elvish courting rituals?"

The question came from nowhere. It had certainly not been what she'd expected.

She blinked in surprise. Her heartbeat began to race, ever so slightly. Why would he be asking such a thing? Unless, of course... Perhaps the admiration she had gained for him these past months of journeying was not one-sided. Perhaps he had heard the underlying meaning in her words.

"I must confess, I know next to nothing of the ways of Elves in those matters..." she answered carefully. "Though I could talk for days of how the Dwarves would deem it properly done."

"And how would the Dwarves deem it properly done?" he asked.

Had she imagined it, or had the space between them narrowed by some distance?

Steeling herself, she resolved to take a chance. Her hand brushed down his arm, and her fingers came to rest over his.

When he didn't pull away, she released a gentle breath, and gave her reply.