Part Two

A few days later, the fellowship had made camp in a small clearing amidst a rocky crag on a hillside. Boromir was happily sparring with Merry and Pippin while Aragorn coached from his seat on a nearby boulder, smoking his pipe. Frodo and Sam watched with amusement while Laradel leaned against the rock Gandalf was resting on.

"If anyone was to ask for my opinion," Gimli began gruffly, "Which I note they're not, I'd say we were taking the long way 'round. Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome!"

Laradel smiled fondly. "Dear Balin, I haven't seen him in... well, since the Lonely Mountain, actually..."

But, Gandalf shook his head. "No, Gimli, I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice."

That made Laradel frown. What wasn't he saying?

Just then, Legolas darted past her, his gaze fixed on something in the distance. Laradel turned to look, but was distracted when Merry and Pippin tackled Boromir and began to playfully wrestle him.

"What is that?" Sam asked, drawing her back to the mystery.

"Nothing, it's just a wisp of cloud," Gimli dismissed.

Boromir frowned, gently setting the two Hobbits aside. "It's moving fast..." he pointed out, "Against the wind."

"Crebain from Dunland!" Legolas called to the rest of them.

"Hide!" Aragorn ordered.

Before Laradel could move, an arm around her waist pulled her to duck under some scraggly branches, and she found herself pressed against Legolas' side. Her face flushed, and she kept her head down to avoid catching his eye as the birds passed overhead. As soon as they were gone, he stood, offering her a hand to help her up.

"Spies of Saruman," Gandalf said in disgust. "The passage south is being watched. We must take the Pass of Caradhras!"

The group all turned to face the looming mountain. It seemed as though their quest had just been delayed.

As the ten of them gathered their supplies, Gimli came over to Laradel.

"I still say that we ought to seek passage through the Mines of Moria..." he grumbled.

Laradel laughed softly. "I know, I should like to see Balin just as much as you, but we must trust Gandalf's judgement."

"Aye... I suppose." There was a pause, then he switched to Khuzdul, catching her off guard. "And what of you and the Elf?"

Boromir, Laradel noticed, was instantly intrigued when she replied fluently, "What of it?"

Gimli chuckled knowingly. "You think I failed to notice how you look at him?"

Thankfully, Laradel had gained enough Elvish composure over the last sixty years to avoid becoming flustered by his words.

"I think you are attempting to see that which is not there," she replied calmly, before turning away to finish gathering her things.

Legolas looked at her questioningly, but Laradel avoided his gaze, instead, opting to follow Gandalf as they started towards the Pass of Caradhras.