Part Eight

The next morning, before the Fellowship set off, Galadriel and Celeborn bestowed gifts upon each of them.

Firstly, each member was draped in a mottled green cloak, with a clasp of shining leaves. The Leaves of Lórien. Then, the Lady Galadriel brought them before her to give them something special, as individuals.

She began at one end of their assembly, looking first upon Legolas, with a knowing glance down towards the other end, where Laradel stood beside Gimli.

"My gift for you, Legolas, is a bow of the Galadhrim. Worthy of the skill of our woodland kin."

As he tested the draw strength of the string, she turned and moved on to where the Hobbits stood; Merry and Pippin were first to receive their gifts.

"These are the daggers of the Noldorin. They have already seen service in war." She paused, gazing upon Pippin's face. "Do not fear, young Peregrin Took," Galadriel assured. "You will find your courage."

"And for you, Samwise Gamgee," she continued, "Elven rope made of hithlain."

"Thank you, my lady," he said, his voice soft and eager. Then, he paused. "Have you run out of those nice, shiny daggers?"

But Galadriel did not answer. She merely gave him a kind smile and turned to the next of the Fellowship.

Gimli.

"And what gift would a Dwarf ask of the Elves?"

"Nothing," he said briskly. "Except to look upon the Lady of the Galadhrim one last time... for she is more fair than all the jewels beneath the earth."

Laradel could scarcely contain her surprise. Dwarves and Elves held such a rivalry that it was quite shocking to hear her friend admit such a thing. No, she didn't suspect that he held any affection, but just that he simply admired her beauty. Still, such an admission filled her heart with hope that the old hatred between races might be done away with for good someday.

Galadriel laughed, and it sounded like music.

Gimli seemed to wrestle with himself, grumbling as he turned away. But, before he had gone, he paused.

"Actually... There was one thing... No, no, I couldn't. It's quite impossible... Stupid to ask."

But Galadriel knew his mind, and she leaned close to him, handing him something that none of the others could see. Laradel knew she must be speaking in his mind, and she wondered what her grandmother's gift to him had been.

Those who had received their gifts began to depart, following the Galadhrim to the water.

Galadriel moved past Laradel to first speak privately to Aragorn, then to bestow parting gifts upon Frodo. At last, she turned to her granddaughter.

"And now, my gift to you, dearest child," she said.

"My lady, I need no gift beside what you have already given me," Laradel said, referring to the magic she had learned.

Galadriel smiled. "Then may you consider it less a gift, and more an inheritance."

One of her Galadhrim brought forth a beautiful bow and presented it to Laradel.

"This bow belonged to your mother," she said. "May it serve you as it did her."

Laradel reverently took the bow in her hands, looking it over.

"Thank you, Naneth Nanethenin..." She paused, remembering long ago. "The last time I was bestowed a family heirloom, things did not end so well. I can only hope that this shall fare better under my charge."