~ Wave After Wave ~

Summary: Lucas has a nightmare from his 'heat oppressed brain'.

Idk why I felt the need to quote Shakespeare...I had my English Literature exam this week.

This takes place roughly two years after the Tsunami, just to confirm I haven't gone into extensive research for this oneshot into the family's experience about the years that followed the events in Thailand so instead I created my own scenario with strictly the characters and their personalities shown in the film The Impossible.

Their physical injuries have been recovered from, more or less, and I haven't got a clue which country they live in now but that's not all that relevant.

Enjoy x
----

Maria's POV:

"I'm going to go check on Lucas." I said as I pulled the blanket off my legs as sat up from my position on the sofa, I had been cuddling with Henry but something didn't feel right.

"Maria, I'm sure he's okay. You need to calm down." Henry said rubbing my back, but I couldn't calm down.

We had sent Lucas to bed with flu-like symptoms, it didn't seem serious but I didn't worry any less than a mother should about their child when they're sick. Or it could be my instincts as a medical practitioner, one of the two.

"I just think I should check, that's all." I said as I put my slippers on my feet, standing up with my stiff legs.

"Alright, we should probably head up to bed anyways." He replied as he turned the television off and collected our mugs to take back to the kitchen to be washed eventually.

"You go, I'll lock up." Henry said before leaving the room. I gently made my way upstairs, trying not to make too much noise against the floorboards before looking into Lucas' bedroom.

I can see him there, moaning as he tossed and turned, and crying!

I turned on his lamp and sat on the edge of his bed, I held his hand and softly rubbed his chest.

"Lucas Sweetheart, it's okay, I'm right here my darling." I whispered softly to try and calm him.

His eyes snapped opened as he gasped as if he had been holding his breath for the longest time, his breathing was speeding up and he looked so scared.

"Sh-sh-sh, you're alright." I whispered as I ran my hand through his curly hair, I could feel the heat radiating from his skin.

"M-Mum." Lucas croaked out, I could tell his throat was sore. He doubled over with his hand to his chest as he broke into a coughing fit, I reached my hand under his shirt and rubbed his back, warm and clammy.

"Aww Darling, that's a nasty cough you got there." I sighed sympathetically. Once he stopped, I stacked the pillows up behind his head and peeled his shirt from his body, it was soaked through with sweat

"Sooo c-cold!" Lucas moaned as he shivered into his blankets, he wasn't happy with me.

"Sorry Love, but your temperature is way too high." I said as I grabbed the thermometer from the bedside table, I put it into his ear and held it there for a moment until it came back with a reading.

Lucas was at 39.7° (103.6° Fahrenheit) which wasn't good for anyone.

"Henry! Could you come here for a second?" I called down to him, Lucas just laid there in an uncomfortable state, I knew he was hurting really bad from all of this.

"I'm here. Lucas, are you alright Pal?" Henry asked at he looked at our son's weak state.

"Could you get me a bowl of cold water and a flannel, and those paracetamol tablets?" I asked him, I would have gotten them myself but Lucas was holding onto me so tightly. I just couldn't leave him like this.