Postpone Pt. 2

Davina Hayes

After Matthew's outbreak during lunch, I decided to distance myself from him. So after we got food, I told him I'm gonna head home and meet him there when he finishes work. And before he could detest, I just left.

I'm here, laying on the couch, cuddling a pillow and staring blankly at the TV in front of me.

The sound of my phone disrupts my gaze. I look at who's calling and its my manager.

"Hey Eileen, what's going on?" I said.

"I have exciting news for you."

"What is it?"

"I just booked you an international tour!" She screamed on the other end of the call.

"That's awesome! when is it?" I replied, excitedly.

"I know its soon, but in two weeks. We're going to the UK, New Zealand, Japan, and Australia."

"Sounds great! How long is the tour?"

"Till December." My smile fades as she says that.

"Eileen I'm getting married in September. Why didn't you tell me this beforehand to approve it?" I raised my voice at her.

"I'm sorry, but I can't cancel. Everything's already ready and paid for."

"I can't postpone my wedding, everything's already ready and paid for as well." I was mad at her at this point.

"I'm sorry, my hands are tied. You have to figure something out." I huffed on my end and hung up on her.

I can't believe this! How am I supposed to tell my mom? She got everything situated with the wedding, and now I have to tell her we have to reschedule. God, I hope so.

How am I supposed to tell Matthew? Oh god, he's not gonna like this. He already got mad today, this is gonna set him off more.

I'm stalling from calling my mom, but I dialed her number because I can't waste a day of not telling her what's going on.

"Hey honey, so everything is set up and ready for your special day. So September 27 is the day, start counting down. I set out all the invitations, so you and Matthews only job to show up and get married." She told me. I stayed silent and she took a pause, sensing somethings wrong.

"Baby girl, what's wrong? Please tell me you and Matthew are okay and didn't call off the wedding." She said. I shook my head, even though she couldn't see me. I sighed and started talking.

"We're fine mom, don't worry. But I do have some bad news."

"Tell me."

"Well my manager, Eileen, booked a whole international tour."

"That's great! How is that.. Wait a minute, please don't tell me-"

"Yes mom. I'm sorry, I know you've put so much effort into my wedding and if I could cancel my tour I would, but my manager said there's nothing she can do. So we're gonna have to postpone the wedding."

"And how does Matthew feel about this?"

"I actually haven't told him yet. I just found out before I called you and he's still at work. I know he's gonna be upset, but there's nothing I can do. But please tell me it's not too late to postpone the wedding."

My mother sighed on the other end. I hate upsetting her.

"Davina Opal, you are lucky that you're my daughter and I love you. I'll see what I can do, but you better not postpone again." She said sternly.

"I won't mama, thank you so much-" I heard keys jingling from the other side of the door.

"I think Matthews home. I gotta go, give dad my love." I hung up the phone and stared at the front door as Matthew walks in.

"Hey, we gotta talk." I didn't give him a chance to relax, I have to get this out.

I grabbed his hand and guided us to the couch.

"So Eileen called me earlier and said that she booked an international tour for me." I said to him.

"That's great babe, you always wanted to travel to new places. So when is it? Maybe I could tag along." He replied. I sighed and tried to block my tears from falling down.

"I leave in two weeks.. but it's all the way till December."

"So what are you trying to say?" He asked, I looked down and took a deep breath before looking up at him.

"We have to postpone the wedding." I said to him. There was a moment of silence, a really long pause. And then outta nowhere he got up and started yelling and pacing around the living room.

"Are you serious?! We been planning this for a year, your mom did everything for us. I bet she's already finished with everything and sent out the invitations. Can't you postpone your tour?" I shook my head.

"Eileen said there's nothing she can do, postponing the tour isn't an option." I said, trying to get him to understand, but nothing I'm saying is getting through to him.

"Do you even care about or wedding? Do you wanna get married or what?" He said to me.

Is he serious right now?

"Of course I wanna get married, I can't believe you even have to question that!" I said, raising my voice at him and stood up from the couch. I'm starting to get frustrated with him. I calm myself down and sat back on the couch.

"You know what, let's just both breathe and calm down and talk about this more rationally and not out of rage." I told him, but he wasn't listening. He grabbed his jacket and stormed out.

"Matthew, where are you going? We need to talk about this." I called for him, but he left.