16- Sweet Sorrow

The interior of the house was alight with a thousand candles, at least that's what it looked like to Kylo. Standing in the foyer dumbstruck, he surveyed the lush red velvet tapestries covering the majority of the walls. What was not covered in velvet boasted elaborately painted art featuring Vincent, Marillia, and a handful of others Kylo had never seen before.

Moving to a painting, Kylo looked up at the piece of the Greek woman looking down at him. Clad in a crimson dress, she looked like she belonged amidst the tapestry. "Queen Marillia," Kylo uttered as he lifted his hand to the painting, wanting to touch.

"She is dear to me," Vincent said as he came to stand behind him. When he spoke, his breath was warm against the back of Kylo's neck.

"The ageless Queen," Kylo commented recalling what the lord had called her. "I still cannot believe she is forty. How is it possible?"

Kylo felt Vincent chuckle against his skin. "You will learn the truth about Marillia in due time." Snaking his arms around Kylo's waist, Vincent brushed his lips against his hair. "Come, our journey has been long and I'm sure you'd like to rest. Would you like me to show you to your chamber?"

Looking around, Kylo noticed the house was eerily still. "Though I'm not used to luxuries, you will excuse me for asking...where are your servants?"

Turning Kylo around gently, Vincent's brows rose lethargically. "I prefer the solitude. Too many feet prancing around make my head spin. I only have people come in twice a month for upkeep. I hope you do not mind."

"You and I alone in this grand palace?" Kylo gave Vincent a smile. "Not in the slightest."

Extending his hand to Kylo, Vincent twined his fingers with the other's and led him upstairs. "You will see the rest of the house later. There are too many rooms for a proper tour tonight. Many of them I do not even use. Some remain locked."

"My lord," Kylo began as he drank in the flowers and vines carved in the wooden banister, "then why stay in a place as big as this if you are not going to use and enjoy it all?"

Reaching the top of the steps, Vincent gestured to the east wing before answering, "This castle has been in my family for three hundred years. I would hate to see someone else living in it."

Kylo nodded in understanding. "Then it is more than a castle. It is a home. A family treasure."

"My sanctuary and now yours." Standing before a large mahogany door, Vincent bought Kylo's hand to his lips and brushed a kiss across the knuckles. "The driver has already brought the items I got for you here. They are in your closets. There is an adjacent bathing chamber with your own tub. If there is anything..." Vincent's eyes shone, "anything you need, I will be next door in my own room."

Biting his lower lip, Kylo drew in a breath. The romantic talk on the ship would lead to nothing more tonight. Vincent was respectful enough to gift him his own room. Kylo had slept in nothing but cinders since he was a child and looked forward to having his own space, his own bed. "Is this good night then?" Kylo whispered.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow," Vincent said quoting one of his favorite tales of woe. Touching his hand to his heart, he smiled softly."Having you here I feel as if this place has come alive. As if I've come alive." He reached for Kylo's hand and brought it to his chest, letting him feel the beat, too. "I have only felt my heart truly beat once before," Vincent admitted.

In the lord's eyes, Kylo saw unspoken confessions. The secrets Vincent had wanted to tell him before blazed among silver-gray.

"An old lover, my lord?"

Vincent cast his eyes downward briefly. When he looked up, Kylo thought he saw blood dot the area one would shed a tear from. "My wife, angel," Vincent replied. "I was married a long time ago but she passed away shortly after we were wed. Esme made me feel like you do. An instant attraction. A desperate desire to be near." Pulling Kylo to him, he added, "I have waited so long to feel this again."

Kylo felt Vincent's body, the way the lord appeared to fit perfectly against him. "I'm sorry you lost her," Kylo said honestly.

Giving him a sad nod, Vincent spoke, "It broke my heart and made me hate the world. And then I saw you." Leaning to Kylo, Vincent brought his lips to the other's in a feathery touch. "I fear losing you," he said almost inaudibly.

"I'm not going anywhere," Kylo cried, "Not now, not ever. I want to be with you, my lord."

"If you are to be mine," he said as he moved his lips to Kylo's ear, "then formalities are no longer needed. Call me by my name."

"Vincent," Kylo uttered as he felt warm lips brush against his ear lobe.

"I must bid you good night, angel." Pulling away, Vincent took Kylo's hands in his and stepped back. "Morning will be upon us soon and we have not yet slept." Opening Kylo's bedroom door for him, Vincent brought Kylo's hand to his lips. He gave them a parting kiss and headed towards his own room where Kylo heard the lock of the door being turned and everything fell silent. 

words: 837