love in cutlery

BUCKY BARNES x FEM!READER

"When love feels like magic, it is called destiny; when destiny has a sense of humor, it is serendipity

"When love feels like magic, it is called destiny; when destiny has a sense of humor, it is serendipity."

--

        Destiny. A fascinating concept. Though, it discontinues remaining so once individuals cease believing in such. A constant waiting game of expectations—expecting the perfect person. They begin to feel impatient.

        He was one of them.

        106 years of waiting. Enduring anyone's worst nightmares; mind control with gut-wrenching torture. Furthermore, PTSD. Slipping, slipping into a doom without a possible ending.

        Fate was the last judgment on Bucky's mind. Although he longed for it, a desire. His constant thought of a special her. A person to assist in easing his pain along with the pressure of the world. A woman to wake up to; waking to cook pancakes, with blueberries—his favorite.

        Steve found a special someone, envying Bucky. The scrawny kid from Brooklyn, switching into superhuman overnight, then Captain America decades succeeding. He found himself a soulmate.

        She was giving up, as well. Tumbling into nothingness.

        Then they meet. Time flowed differently. Slowly, without rhythm, as they gaped. Piercing gazes, little to no end. She bestowed him hope, an acknowledgment that it was okay. A confirmation that loving is a component of living. To live is to love, to love is to live.

        Once again they meet. Serendipity.

A significant day. Consisting of excitement, including the chitter-chatter of many. Steve Rogers, the Captain America, was being espoused. Naturally, his reliable companion, pal, and buddy was the best man. James Buchanan Barnes.

        Fatefully, she was summoned. Sharon's kindest colleague and friend. The maid of honor.

        Without warning, nor anticipation, they caught sight of each at the matrimony. Shocked, appalled, yet at ease.

        She turned to the man staring directly through her. As if she was the most gentle piece of glass, nearly ready to be shattered within any given consequence.

        He noticed that her locks were styled to perfection, with her dress hugging her body to supremacy. Bucky never appreciated true beauty until he was looking directly at it. The brunet was breathless, at a loss for words, an impossible struggle to get them out, until he does, "H-Hi."

        The girl was suffocating. Suffocation in the best way. Almost livid. "Hey..."

        "This was so unexpected. I-I didn't think you'd be here..." James trailed off, running a hand through his dark locks.

        She chuckled, fidgeting with her hands apprehensively below his gaze, "Same here." An awkward silence occurred between the pair, "How were you invited here?"

        "The groom is a good friend of mine. Um, you?" He questioned.

        She chuckled, "The bride is a good friend of mine."

        Bucky chortled alongside her, "Well that makes a lot of sense."

        If past Bucky was observing 106-year-old Bucky, he would slap him for being incredibly unlike his past playboy self. Yet, before doing such, current Bucky would grab his hand and rip it off. He may have lost his charm, never his strength and stamina.

        "Are you going to the reception?" He asked, exceedingly quickly.

        She smiled at his eagerness, "I am."

        The waiters were beginning to serve food to the tables. "Shall we eat?" Bucky confidently brought his hand toward the girl for her to latch on to. She delivered a crooked, awestruck grin his way while tenderly grasping his hand, nodding. Feeling past Bucky entering his current being, he led the youthful maid to her seat, pushing her chair in for her. Then moving to the opposite side of the table and settling on a chair to directly face her.

        The food was served to their table, followed by a quiet "thank you" arising from the polite girl. The man was practically melting at her charm and grace, like ice cream on a hot summer's day.

        She lifted her fork in her grip and began to peacefully eat her food. He was just about to seize his utensil as well until noticing that he did not attain one near his plate. He proceeded to scan the area to notice if his missing spoon was carelessly lying on a random spot atop the table, or perhaps if one of the waiters happened to misplace it there.

        He kept looking around till she noticed. "What are you looking for?"

        Meeting eyes with her, he shrugged, "I don't have a spoon and I was wondering if it was lying around the table somewhere. I don't think the waiters would just forget to give me a spoon."

        He continued fixating his gaze throughout the table, though he was interrupted by her once more. "Just take mine I'll get a new one." She beckoned a waiter over while gripping her spoon.

        "Oh- w-well you don't have to do that..."

        She shook her head, clutching her spoon in her grasp, a waiter appearing beside her as she spoke, "I'm sorry, but my friend can't seem to find his spoon. Is it alright if you-" She discontinued her train of thought as she looked down at the table, her metal spoon in hand, and felt it pull apart to reveal another metal spoon previously attached to it.

        Bucky was staring at the scene as well. She looked up at him to see him already looking at her with a luminant expression. The waiter nonchalantly sauntered off with a gentle smile on his lips. The pair continued to have a stare-off, blown away at the scene that unfolded between them.

        "Well, um..." She cleared her throat, "Here's your spoon." She passed the utensil his way.

        He tenderly retained it from her grasp, sending a dazzling smile her way. "Thanks."

--

this is actually a story of how my parents met LMAO i just decided to turn it into a bucky oneshot. it's so cheesy and has overall fluff, hope you enjoyed <3

word count: 906

- lika