Big Trouble, Stupid Angel

The blood in my veins had been scorching seconds before

The blood in my veins had been scorching seconds before. Now it ran ice-cold. "Oh... Oh no."

"What's wrong?" Asher asked.

"I have to go." I leapt up from the bedding, pushed the tapestry covering the archway aside, and stumbled outdoors. The cool evening air was like a slap in the face after the warmth of Asher's cozy house.

"Cathtel?" Asher's voice sounded behind me.

I did not turn, though. I hurried for the dirt traveling path so I could exit my vessel in an inconspicuous spot and not draw further attention from Heaven, although I was sure it was hopeless by that point. I was in deep camel dung.

"Cat!" Asher rushed outside after me.

(Yes, he was the first to call me by what would become my demon name.)

"Are you coming back?" Asher asked.

"I don't know," I replied distractedly, preoccupied. All the horrible ways I could be punished for my blasphemy spun like a torture wheel in my mind.

(If you've read the Old Testament, you know why I was afraid. The Big Guy wasn't all gung-ho about forgiveness back then.)

"Wait!" Asher said. "Cathetel...ask to kiss me."

My heart stilled. I stopped and spun around.

Asher stood in the field, the outline of his wild hair and slim body alit by white moonlight. His face was shadowed, but I could tell that he was staring at me.

"Ask," he insisted.

I took a tentative, hopeful step towards him. "Can I kiss you?"

The words no sooner left my mouth than Asher pounced. He wrapped his arms around my neck and kissed me full on the mouth.

My spirit soared within my human confinement. I pulled Asher closer.

He parted his sweet lips to press his tongue against mine.

I started with a surge of delight. My hands dove into his thick, black curls on their own.

Asher hummed pleasantly and tilted his head.

I kissed him deeper. I don't think I was particularly good at kissing—it was, after all, my first snog—yet Asher didn't complain. We kissed for an endless moment. It was bliss.

Then, all too soon, Asher pulled away. But I felt his lips grinning against mine.

"Come back tomorrow night," he said softly, his warm breath feathering along my mouth. "I'll cook you something else you'll like."

Affection coursed through my deific being. Even though I knew I loved and craved Asher, the power of the sentiment I felt for a flawed, sinful human still took me off-guard.  

I hugged him. I never wanted to let him go. I knew I was headed for a divine smack down in which my spectral ass may very well be tossed out of Heaven. 

But in that instant, I couldn't care less.