• Chapter 9 •

Third Person's POV

The next day, there was a court hearing. Rory always thought that the court system moved so slowly, but I guess when it's a billionaire accused of being a vigilante and a murderer, courts seem to speed up the process.

Rory sat on one of the benches in the courtroom with Walter, Moira, Thea, and Tommy. The guards brought Oliver into the courtroom and to his place to sit as a court guard started talking.

"Docket 81941, People versus Oliver Queen. Murder, aggravated assault, assault with attempt, managing and trespassing." The guard passed the judge a piece of paper and then walked to stand a little bit away.

"Where's your attorney, Mr. Queen?" The Judge asked Oliver. Rory glanced down at her hands. She knew that he would only allow Laurel to represent him, but she had said no because of conflicts of interest. "I'm representing myself, Judge." Oliver answered.

"I'm not sure that's the wisest course, Mr. Queen." The Judge said. "I think it is. I'm innocent." Oliver stood up and spoke. "Then we'll consider that your plea." The Judge responded. "Thank you." Oliver said and sat back down.

"Now, as to bail–" The Judge was interrupted by the prosecutor. "Your honour, Mr. Queen's family owns a pair of private jets, and, well, on the subject of their wealth, I would point out that there is virtually no bail amount that can guarantee his presence at trial."

"So then I guess it's a good thing that the people's case is so circumstantial." Everyone looked back to see it was Laurel who has entered the room and who was walking up to the front of the courtroom.

Rory couldn't help but have a smile form on her face as she realized that her mom was going to be representing her dad.

"Dinah Laurel Lance, Your Honour. I'd like to file my appearance on behalf of the defendant." Laurel laid her briefcase on the table for the defendant and the defendant's lawyer to sit at. "Mr. Queen's wealth should not deprive him of the right to be released on bail while under the presumption of innocence."

"He is a flight risk." The prosecutor argued. "Then minimize the risk. The defendant is willing to submit to home confinement and electronic monitoring through the wearing of a UKG45 administrated ankle device." Laurel spoke.

"No, he wouldn't." Oliver disagreed, but he was ignored. "Sold." The Judge spoke. "Your Honour–" The prosecutor started, but was cut off by the judge.

"Bail is set at 15 Million dollars. Five million dollars bond. Defendant to see probation for the fitting of a GPS device." The Judge banged her gavel and Laurel sat down next to Oliver.

Rory raised her eyebrows when she heard the price for bail. It was a lot of money, but she knew her family would pay it. Anything to get Oliver back home. Because none of them wanted to lose him again.

~~~

Laurel had to leave with Oliver after the court session to talk about legal stuff that Rory didn't understand, so the young girl was left with Moira, Walter, Thea, and Tommy. They had stuck around a little while longer than necessary as they were talking and then decided to head home where Oliver was going to meet them later.

However, they decided it was probably best for Rory to go back to her mom's place while Oliver got used to his new situation. So Tommy dropped her off.

Rory opened the door to their apartment and was surprised to hear her mom and granddad arguing in the next room. In fact, they were arguing so loud they didn't hear the door open or close as she entered.

"Why are you doing this? You're defending the man that killed your sister." Quentin spoke loudly. "Oliver did not kill Sara!" Laurel exclaimed in frustration and Rory just stayed where she was, not wanting to walk into the fight.