• Chapter 4 •

Third Person's POV

It had been a few days and Rory had visited her dad in those few days, but this particular time, Tommy brought Rory over to the Queen Mansion. They got within hearing distance just as Walter spoke.

"Do you have any questions about today, Oliver? It's a simple proof-of-life declaration. Just read out a brief, prepared statement to the judge, and then your death-in-absentia judgement will be voided." Walter explained.

"It's fine, Walter, I've been in a courtroom before." Oliver responded just as Tommy and Rory walked into the room.

"Four times by my estimate. You know, there was the DUI, the assault on that paparazzi douchebag, stealing that taxi, which was just awesome, by the way, and who could forget peeing on the cop?" Tommy spoke as he and Rory settled next to Oliver.

Rory snorted as she looked up at her dad. "You peed on a cop?" She questioned, letting out a laugh as her grandmother answered, "I wish everyone would."

Oliver just flashed Rory a wink before placing his hand on Tommy's shoulder. "I'd hang, but we're headed to court."

"I know, that's why we're here. My best friend is getting legally resurrected, I wouldn't miss this for the world." Tommy said and Rory nodded in agreement.

"What about you?" Oliver turned to Thea. "Oh, I think the first four times of you in court was enough for me." Thea answered before walking past Oliver. "Fair enough." He responded.

"Mrs. Queen? Car's ready." A man Rory didn't recognize came into the room. "Who's that?" Rory quietly asked Oliver, not wanting to be rude, who glanced down at her. "That's Mr. Diggle. He's my bodyguard." Oliver answered and Rory raised her eyebrow in surprise.

Then Moira and Walter started heading out. Tommy held his arm out for Moira, but she just walked past him.

Not wanting Tommy to feel rejected, Rory looped her arm around Tommy's still outstretched arm. He smiled down at her and the three of them followed Moira and Walter.

~~~

Press clamoured loudly as Oliver and his family exited the vehicle. They kept asking questions about the island and Sara Lance. Tommy made sure to block Rory from the press, wanting to make sure the young girl was safe.

The press weren't allowed once they got inside, so it felt much less suffocating. They headed to the courtroom and they all sat down in the rows of seats except Oliver who went up past the rows.

The judge was there and soon Oliver was able to stand and speak. "There was a storm. The boat went down. I was the only survivor." Oliver paused and looked down before continuing.

"My father didn't make it. I almost died, I – I thought that I had, 'cause I spent so many days on the life raft before I saw the island. When I reached it, I knew. . . I knew that I was gonna have to live for both of us." Oliver spoke. Rory looked down at her hands sadly.

When she found out that the yacht had sunk, most of her thoughts were of her dad, but that didn't mean that she wasn't saddened by her grandfather's death too.

It felt like the hits just kept coming for Rory. First, she found out her dad had died, then, right after, she found out her grandfather died, and finally, she found out her Aunt Sara had died.