Chapter 12

There were many different trails that threaded throughout the estate, some leading towards the hills while others moved across the long, open meadows. But the one that the riding party decided to go along meandered next a river that made its way through the estate.

Once the storm season hits, the tranquil water will give way to a rushing torrent. But at the moment, it was nothing more than a harmless trickling stream. The soft sounds of the moving water as well as the quiet trill of the birds was a natural accompaniment for the steady beat of the horses' hooves.

But although the ride was supposed to be a calm moment to take in the beauty of nature, Ethan found it increasingly difficult to concentrate on the vibrant scenery surrounding him. Instead, he was watching the two riders moving side by side along the road in front of him.

As much as he tried not to let it show, he was growing progressively agitated by Grayson's presence. He always treasured the Saturday morning rides with Rosa, the only time they could actually spend time alone without the risk of someone interrupting their conversations. Even though he never said much, he loved hearing her voice.

Of course, Rosa didn't know how much he looked forward to these mornings, and he had absolutely no right to be irritated by someone joining them, but he couldn't help it.

This was their time together, and now he was cast to the back, unable to do anything but watch Grayson continue to talk and flirt with the beauty beside him.

Ethan pressed his lips together into a grim line, glancing to the side when he noticed Grayson reach out to touch her arm. He did his best to ignore the sharp pain that echoed in his chest at the thought of knowing that the man before him could be so open about his feelings while he himself could not.

Not only was it inappropriate to have feelings for her because he was her mother's employee, it was also due to the fact that it was safest for Rosa if he did.

He was a walking omen to everyone he ever held dear to him. Something that he had learned the hard way years ago.

Eventually, the road gave way to a long, open stretch of meadow that ran beside the river. Lined with nut trees of varying kinds, it was one of Rosa's favourite places to be. It often brought back memories of her carefree childhood where she and her family would have picnics under the cover of leaves and pick up as many nuts as they could carry in their pockets.

But now it was a place where Ethan and Rosa would often let their horses stretch into a gallop. Chester seemed to remember this, as his neck instantly arched, energy gathering in his body in preparation for the run.

But Rosa held him back and stroked his neck to soothe him, knowing that the man beside her would not have the balance for a gallop just yet.

Steele, having noticed his companion's energy, reacted in much the same way. But his rider was not as soothing in his attempts to calm his steed, and a harsh jerk to the mouth made the grey stallion's tail swish back and forth in an agitated manner.

"Please, don't jerk the reins at him, Grayson," Rosa said as she eyed the irked stallion. "He's not fond of it."

"Sorry," the man replied as he ran a hand through his chestnut strands. "He's got a lot of energy though. How about we run them?"

"I wouldn't suggest it," Ethan said as he finally managed to come up beside the rich city boy, ready to snatch the reins from him if things got out of hand. "You're not experienced enough to gallop, let alone gallop this stallion."

Grayson turned to look at him, and his jade gaze narrowed into a glare. "I don't recall asking for your opinion," he said in a low tone so that only Ethan could hear.