Chapter 16

Rosa's fingers trembled as she walked towards the stables later that afternoon. The heat of the day had finally lifted, allowing a cool breeze to flutter over her, but it didn't do much to soothe her frayed nerves. It had been a few days since she had promised her sister that she would ask Ethan to the anniversary celebration, and so far she had not found the courage to ask him.

She was nervous because she knew that he was someone who took his work seriously on the estate, and asking him to the party would change things between himself and her family to a far less professional level. Even if he didn't agree, the atmosphere between them will undoubtedly change.

Rosa wouldn't have even thought of asking him, since he already told her he didn't dance to the music she did, but she had promised that she would if Isabella asked Damien.

And, well, she did.

Now the younger sister was stuck regretting ever making the deal with her sister, and she was certain that the amount of stress she was enduring holding up her end was not healthy for her. But the clock was ticking, and she knew that she had to ask him sooner or later. That was the main reason she was heading out to the stables now.

"Come on, Rosa. It's just Ethan. Get it together!" she hissed to herself as she walked, rubbing her clammy palms on her jeans.

The sound of pounding hooves caught her attention, and she looked across the paddocks to see the man causing such destruction to her nervous system working the grey stallion over a few fences. Her heart mirrored the horse's movements by leaping into her throat when she caught sight of his strong frame moving as one with the horse over the jumps.

However, going under the pretence of not wanting to interfere with his work, Rosa decided to be a coward and slunk towards the stable door and quickly entered before he noticed her, gaining herself a few seconds of procrastination. 

Once the door closed behind her, she slumped against it with a heavy sigh and glanced down at her trembling fingers. She pressed her lips together and balled them into fists before pulling away from the door to walk down the stable's aisle. Since it was nearing supper time, most of the horses were already in their stalls, and she immediately made her way towards her beloved stallion. His deep eyes stared back at her, his right ear flickering back and forth upon hearing her voice as she greeted him.

Rosa felt a little calmer in Chester's presence and spoke softly to him about her day, stroking his face as she did. She had almost forgotten why it was she had gone there until she heard the large door open and Ethan entered, leading Steele along behind him.

She turned slowly to face him and felt her heart palpitate in her chest when their gazes met. Her breath froze in her lungs for a second, and she watched him pause in his stride, his tawny eyes widening a little at the sight of her.

But the moment lasted for nothing more than a second, as he abruptly turned his gaze away from her, a strange whiteness appearing about his mouth, and he moved past her without a single word.

The sudden coldness in his disposition left her stunned, and it took an impatient nudge from Chester to snap her out of it. She looked towards the horse with a tight smile. "I'll be back now," she promised and stroked his cheek before drawing a deep breath into her lungs and walked after Ethan.

She passed little Lucky on her way, who still looked incredibly long-legged with a tiny body, and she gave him a small stroke on his muzzle before redirecting her focus to the task at hand.

Be confident, Rosa. It always seems to work for Izzy, she attempted to prep herself and consciously straightened her back and raised her head.