Chapter 18

"Damien, may I speak with you for a moment, please?"

Isabella turned upon hearing the sound of her mother's voice, and her dark eyebrows lifted a little in surprise at her request. The party had finally come to an end, and the hired staff were busy clearing up the tables and packing everything away. The estate suddenly seemed so still after the constant music and laughter that it almost too quiet as she and Damien walked to his car, her arm linked through his own, when she noticed her parents moving towards them.

She looked up at Damien, their height difference more pronounced since she had switched her heels for flats earlier on the evening since her back was unable to manage a tall heel for long periods of time. His icy gaze looked at her mother quizzically before he nodded his head and gently eased his arm from Isabella's.

"Excuse me," he told her with a soft smile that made her insides twist pleasantly, and she nodded, hoping her father didn't catch how her cheeks brightened in colour, even in the dim garden lighting.

Damien stepped towards Jenny, and the older woman turned, walking down the path that connected the North Garden to the West Garden where they had been standing. He followed her, leaving Isabella alone with her dad.

The evening was still, and the nocturnal insects chittered away as Jenny made her way through the spectacular sight of the estate's gardens. The sweet aromas of peonies, lavender, and honeysuckle caressed her senses, and she drew in a deep breath to appreciate it more.

Damien was silent beside her, but she could feel his curious gaze on her face when she finally came to a halt before one of the many fountains found across the landscape. The soft rushing sounds of the water echoed around the otherwise silent garden, and the gentle moonbeams landed on the silver statue, making the aiming Cupid appear as though it was glowing.

Jenny drew another deep breath in her lungs and straightened her shoulders, her dark eyes transfixed on the sculpture. "I know it's late, so I won't keep you long. There's just . . . something that I want to speak to you about before my husband and I leave tomorrow."

Damien's eyebrows furrowed at her words as he continued to watch the side of her face. "Is something wrong?"

She shook her head, her dark gaze moving over the features of the figurine, still not meeting his stare. "No, there isn't nor do I want there to be. That's what I would like to speak to you about."

Damien shifted his weight, his icy gaze holding confusion as he cocked his head to the side. "What is it?"

Jenny's gaze lowered, watching how the moonbeams made the gentle ripples in the fountain pool sparkle like a millions diamonds. She took a moment to compose herself before turning to face him. Bathed in the gentle moonlight and garden lamps' rays, she appeared regal and powerful with her head raised and dark gaze undaunted as her eyes finally connected with his own.

"What are your intentions with my daughter?"

Damien stared at her completely shocked, not expecting that question to come from her. But he recovered quickly and cleared his throat. "I want to be her friend," he replied, but when Jenny raised her chin a little higher—her gaze hardening—his eyes drifted to the ground. "I do like her," he further admitted in a quiet voice.

"Do you want to be with her?"

The sheer bluntness of her questions left him a little flustered. He had expected this sort of conversation with Isabella's father, not with her mother. "I . . . wouldn't mind, but she's still wanting to get to know me first before she decides."

Jenny nodded slowly at his response, her dark gaze watching him carefully. "I see."

Silence enveloped them, save for the sounds coming from the fountain and insects. Jenny continued to watch him, as though she was attempting to see his very soul before her expression finally eased. Her eyes glanced around them as a small exhale released from her lips. "I apologize if I came off as being too forward with my questions. I just needed to hear what your responses would be."