Chapter 34

The feeling of warm lips against her own was so unexpected that Rosa's eyes bulged in shock. Her gasp was swallowed by Ethan's lips, her body jolting in surprise.

But as quickly as it happened, his lips were gone, and her dazed expression lifted to meet his red-rimmed, tawny gaze. Baffled by the actions, she remained motionless as he sighed and gently pressed his forehead against hers.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered.

Rosa stared, confused beyond words. She wasn't sure what it was that he was referring to: if it was the kiss they just shared, the situation that occurred, or his behavior in general. Judging by the way his hands shook as they clasped her face, she was sure he had received quite the scare.

But the pain echoing from the back of her head was too great for her to focus on much else. So she remained silent and closed her eyes, resting her forehead against his as the frigid rain continued to pelt them.

A deep coldness had settled into her bones, and her body began to shake and her teeth chatter, the dull pain in her chest growing more apparent with each painful breath she took. She needed to get inside soon.

As if realizing it himself, Ethan gently eased away from her to look at her pale features. "I need to get you home."

Upon hearing those words, Rosa's memories suddenly cascaded over her, causing her shoulders to tense and her head to pound. Her hand shot out and grabbed a fistful of the front of his drenched, muddy shirt.

"No, not yet. I don't want to go back." Her voice sounded hoarse, and she winced at the grating sound.

Ethan's shoulders tensed, his focus intent on her. "Why? What happened?"

Words failed her as she slowly met his gaze. She didn't—couldn't say anything at that moment, the memories too raw to delve into while she was in such a state. Something in her expression must have made him realize that for his concerned frown eased into one of understanding.

"All right. But we need to get out of this storm," he said in a gentle tone.

As he helped her rise on shaky legs, a clap of thunder echoed above them, causing Rosa to flinch in fright. Two strong arms coiled around her protectively, allowing her to bury her face in the crook of his neck. She sucked in a deep breath to calm herself, only to wince at the heaviness of her chest.

She frowned, knowing that she would need to look at that.

The horses had long since run off leaving Ethan and Rosa to return on foot. Rosa grimaced when Ethan urged her forward. Her vision spun and she stumbled, latching onto his arm for support. "I-I can't," she muttered, her breath hitching as another spasm of pain ricocheted throughout her skull.

Ethan didn't even pause to think as he turned her to face him once more. If she hadn't been in such pain, she would have shrieked in surprise when he placed her hands on his shoulders and his behind her thighs, hoisting her up against him. Instinctively she wrapped her legs and arms around him, her body shivering at the intimate contact as he placed his arms around her and started to walk.

Although she knew that he wouldn't be able to see her face, she hid her embarrassment by pressing her flaming cheeks in the sanctuary of his neck.

Moving as quickly as possible while hoping that he didn't jostle her pained head, Ethan walked through the storm, the pelting rain stinging his eyes despite the cover of the trees. He knew that it was one of the worst storms that they had experienced in several years, and he placed all of his focus on getting back to the mansion as quickly and safely as possible. Knowing that it would be disastrous if he only focused on the woman wrapped around him.