Chapter 22

Jenny hadn't moved so much as an inch by the time evening rolled over the bustling city of New York. Nathan had not budged from her side since earlier that day, and the lines of exhaustion were already apparent on his usually relaxed expression. His shoulders were slumped forward as he leaned over his wife's bed, not having relinquished his hold on her hand the entire day as he muttered soft words to her, raking his fingers through her long dark locks with loving care.

The doctor had come by a little earlier to see her. After checking her and the baby's vitals, he concluded that she would wake up within the next few hours. Oliver, on the other hand, had not fared too well from the accident, and it couldn't be determined when he would wake up.

It was a thought that upset Isabella greatly. Although she was closer to Alfredo than she had ever been with Oliver, she was still fond of the old chauffeur. Much like Alfredo, he had watched her grow up and had always been around for all of her greatest achievements. She didn't want him to suffer any permanent damage, which made finding the person responsible for accident all the more crucial.

They had tried to contact Alfredo not long after the accident had taken place, but his phone went to voicemail. Nathan said that he and Danielle were probably on honeymoon, judging by what the chef had said to him in a phone call a couple days prior. Isabella was glad upon hearing that news, but she couldn't help but feel a little disheartened as well. She needed Alfredo's presence in this moment; he always managed to lighten a mood.

Rosa arrived a few minutes after the sun had set, carrying a duffle-bag with clothes that Nathan had asked her to bring for him and a few coffees to ease them after the long, strenuous day. She appeared to have recovered well from her little episode earlier that day, and Isabella had only just taken her first sip of the scalding beverage when the door to Jenny's room opened and her grandparents walked in.

"Nathan," her grandmother greeted as she rushed to her son, her silver strands tied back in an elegant bun.

"Mom," he said and rose to his feet seconds before his mother engulfed him in a hug.

She had gotten smaller over the course of the last couple of decades, and she seemed tiny in stature to her son as he returned her hug, burying his face into her shoulder as he squeezed her tight.

"Shh, it's okay, my child. She'll be okay. You'll see," she murmured to him as she rubbed his back with comforting strokes. She continued to murmur to him until he eventually relaxed his shoulders and released a deep, shuddering sigh. When he slowly backed away from her, she cupped his cheeks to wipe away the few stray tears that escaped his red eyes. "She'll be okay. You know that I'm always right."

Her words caused a watery smile to pull at Nathan's lips, and he nodded in confirmation. Mrs Walker's eyes softened, and she tenderly stroked back his hair, taking a good look at his stressed features. "Oh, my poor child."

"Do you need some help, Grandpa?"

Isabella focused her attention on her sister's question, and she turned to see her grandfather hobbling toward a chair in the one corner. Rosa hovered beside him, ready to latch onto his arm as he gripped his walking cane to aide him in sitting down.

Rosa grasped his arm as he stumbled slightly and supported him as he slowly sat down in the chair. A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he leaned back and repositioned the pillow. "Thank you, Rosa," he said.

Isabella made her way toward him, frowning at one of his wrists that was set in a cast. He seemed to have become so frail in such a short time that it shocked her. She had heard about his latest fall, which were becoming far too frequent, and that he had broken his wrist because of it.