Train // Chapter 9

Ivan's POV:

The smell of freshly cut grass bit and stung my nose. My eyes shot open with my body. The blazing sun shone down on my pale locks and I remembered what I was supposed to be here for. Frantically searching, I desperately called out, "Allen!? Allen?!" We had more or less successfully teleported but to where? I looked around, only seeing grassland for miles and a single train track to my left. A groan sounded from the bottom of the small hill I was on. I skidded down the slope and spotted the tan American laying in a patch of mud. Immediately kneeling before him, I began wiping the mud splatters from his cheek. He swatted my hands away, "fuck off." Just as I thought we were making progress he climbed back into his hole of grudges. But alas, I backed up for him get up himself. He cursed and groaned as he began to flick the clumps of wet dirt from his arms and back. I chuckled as he missed over one huge patch on his waist. "The fuck are you laughing at?!" He yelled at me with a red face. "Nothing! Just-.. Here." I got up and put my hands on him to grab as much of the mud as possible. His eyes averted and a unappetizing frown appeared where his scowl used to be. The redness of his cheeks stayed even after I stepped away from him. I took another look around, noticing a train stop with a bench off in the distance. 'Why would they put a train stop in the middle of nowhere?' I pondered. "Where the fuck are we..?" Allen blurted out after checking his shirt once more. "I was about to ask the same question" I admitted as I turned to face him again. Slouching, he began to climb up the hill,  "great! Now we are in the middle of nowhere-vile and who knows when we'll catch up to Viktor!" I followed Allen up the hill and to the edge of the train track, "and who knows when this stupid train will get here! Probably never!" He struck the rusty metal rail with his foot and began to walk away in a fit. "We can always wait!" I called after him. "Yeah we'll be waiting so long we'll turn into crinkly old raisins!" He shouted, continuing to walk away from me. Suddenly, the train tracks began to rattle and shake. My heart pulsed and I squinted to look down the track. After staring for a little and the rumbling getting louder, I spotted the large piece of metal heading our way. "Oh shit!" Allen exclaimed running back to me. I turned to Allen and grabbed him by the shoulders "Alright, here's what we are going to do, we are going to run to the train stop, hide, and wait. Once the train stops and realizes there's no one there they will begin to move again. That will be our chance to hop on one of the empty carts at the back." He actually looked nervous, but he nodded and we began running for the bench. I got there first, him following suit. Out of breath, we hid behind the bench, watching the train come. It came to a screeching halt at the stop just like I had suspected. Allen moved to get up but I grabbed his shirt, "not yet." After a minute or two, the train began to move again. "Now!" Me and Allen popped up and began running to catch the back cart. My ribs began to ache but I was determined. The tracks sparked as the high speed train rocked against them. I caught up to the cart door and swung it open, hay littered the floor but I jumped in. I quickly flipped around to get a look of where Allen was. He was running to catch up, but the train began to pick up more. Reaching my hand out, I yelled, "Allen! Grab my hand, come on!" He looked at me and began running harder than before. I reached as far as I could and after a second, I felt his sweaty hand slap against mine.

I pulled him up and he crashed right into a pile of hay. "Holy fuck!" Allen laughed as I closed the cart door. Both of us were breathless and sweaty. He jumped on top of me in a frenzy. "Oof!" I grunted as the sudden weight crashed on my chest. We fell backwards but he put his hands down on the floor before his face fell on mine. My head was between each of his hands and we went silent as the situation set in. His face was inches from mine. Maybe I could- Lean in..- Before I could even try, he got off of me. "Sorry." He squeaked as he sat in a hay pile opposite from where I was. I chuckled at the short attempt at an apology. I looked up at the opening of the cart on the ceiling. The sun was beginning to set and we had no idea where this train was taking us. I wanted to talk our plan over, but it was too awkward for words. Laying on one of the piles of hay was more comfortable than I thought. Besides all the prickly pieces, it was surprisingly soft. I curled up on my side, hoping to catch some Zs until a body plopped down behind me, wrapping its arms around my waist. I turned around to face Allen, his face scrunched together in a tight embrace, trying to block the sight of me from his closed eyes. I smiled at the childlike behavior and engulfed him in my arms. We stayed like that for a little until his body relaxed into mine. "Why did you leave?" He suddenly asked, his voice low and sad. My eyes opened wide, "I- Well.." He looked up at me, "was it because of me? Did I do something wrong?" "Gods no! Of course not. You.. You were- You are.. amazing." I squeezed him in my arms. Tears welded up in my eyes, obscuring my vision, "It was Viktor. I thought we got along fine. But in the end he was only power hungry and was using me." Allen shifted under me, "You can say that twice. Ever since you left he's been talking about merging the worlds. We all thought he was joking and just being psycho, you know how he is.." I nodded against his head. "In the end, I traced your leaving back to me. We didn't exactly end on good terms." He buried his face further into my chest. My heart ached as I recalled our last encounter, too painful to speak of out loud. "No. I never left because of you. I could never leave because of you. I wanted to stay because of you. I never got to apologize." The sun had completely vanished, leaving the spotlight to the moon. "I should be the one apologizing. I was a dick." Was he actually admitting his faults? I stayed silent, scared to mess up the mood by agreeing or disagreeing. Allen lifted his head from my chest and gazed at the moon, "I know you are in love with Alfred, I respect that. But I'll never stop wanting you." His gaze returned to mine and a tear trickled down his cheek. I wiped the tear from his face with my thumb while deciding if I wanted to kiss him or hug him. I chose the safer option. As I embraced him, I felt him sigh in disappointment. I wanted to kiss him. Love him. But.. I cant. I cant go down that road again. Our love was abusive, but the best kind of abuse. The abuse you crave until you can't think of anyone but them. I pushed the thought away and snuggled against him. We could talk later. Sleep beckoned both of us.