chapter 18

“Happy Valentine’s Day, love,” Louis said, clinking his wine glass against Harry’s across the table. They were at a restaurant together, Louis wanting to give Harry a night off from cooking and they were enjoying the relaxing yet romantic atmosphere. “I can’t believe it’s our fourth Valentine’s Day together. Times flies when you’re having fun, huh?”

Harry smiled over the rim of his glass, inhaling the scent of the rich liquid. Since he’d been married to Louis and they’d gone out to more and more restaurants around the world, he’d become a bit of a wine connoisseur and liked to think he knew a thing or two now. Louis, on the other hand, didn’t really care as long as it had an alcohol content. He sipped his wine and stared at his husband, the wine making him feel slightly merry and more in love, if that was possible.

“I’m having the most fun,” he said with a cheeky grin, nibbling on a piece of bread from the basket in the middle of the table, despite having just polished off an entire steak on his own. He knew Louis had chosen this place as it was one of their favourites, and they were always guaranteed a bit of privacy which was nice. Since Louis’ team had won the Premier League last year, his fame had gone astronomic, and Harry had struggled for a little while with the amount of press and public attention the couple had got. Louis had ended up releasing a statement asking that they not follow his husband around, and that Louis would be pleased to grant interviews when he was at work events.

That had seemed to calm things down, and while they were still papped when they went out and about, even on holiday, the peak had been and gone, and things felt somewhat back to normal. Harry found that being more active on social media and sharing snippets of his life and work made the attention on him less frantic, but still, he loved the sound of the gates outside his and Louis’ home clunking shut as he drove in, sealing them off from the world into their own little bubble - his favourite place in the world.

Louis picked up the bottle of wine from the edge of the table and poured another few inches into his own glass, then refilling Harry’s. Harry frowned. “Last one, Lou. I’ve got work tomorrow, don’t wanna burn the bread or I’ll get sacked.”

“Can’t sack yourself, love,” Louis said with a chuckle, raising an eyebrow at Harry who was still chomping on the crust of a piece of bread. Wine always gave him the munchies, and Louis was ridiculously endeared. Louis had bought the empty bakery just over 18 months ago now, and Harry had managed to make a huge success of it. He’d planned meticulously, made lists and sourced the best equipment he could afford, Louis of course refusing to buy anything but the best, insisting it was their money now, not just his, and Harry had taken a course in business management at the local University, wanting to be able to run his business from every aspect. ‘ The Rolling Scones ’ had been a runaway success from day one, and Harry now had a small but loyal staff who he trusted to keep things ticking over, although he was still very much hands-on, not liking to stay away too long, even when Louis whisked him off halfway around the world on another holiday.

“If I do a shitty job, I can,” Harry said with a pout, rubbing the toe of his shoe up and down the side of Louis’ calf, a sure sign that he was feeling horny. Louis cleared his throat and shuffled around in his chair, mind already racing with ideas about what he wanted to do to his husband when they got home. They might have been married over two years now, together for three, but their desire for each other hadn’t waned at all. Louis still enjoyed nothing more than waking up to Harry, having slow morning sex, or taking him over their kitchen counter when the need came. The level of trust in each other meant that they’d had such fun spicing up their love life, and Louis honestly couldn’t ask for more.