3. Mortal Cup

Chapter Two

Aiden:

I awoke to a comfortable bed and sheets rustling, and not the grimy dance floor of the club. My eyelids refused to open and I was extremely thirsty. Where even am I?

With a little more effort, my eyelashes unstitched themselves and my lids finally slid opened to reveal my dry eyeballs to the atmosphere.

"You're awake." I jumped at the voice and searched for it's source. She sat at the foot of the bed smiling. It was the girl with the whip.

"Who-who are y-you?" Goodness! These dry eyes and throat symptoms are going to eliminate me.

She got up from her spot on the bed and headed for a small table across the room. She lifted a glass pitcher with clear liquid in it and poured some into an empty glass. Not a word left her lips until she retook her position on the bed and nudged the drink to my chapped lips.

"I'm Isabelle. I've never seen my brother so interested in a mundane's case." She tilted her head and watch as I drank what I now dubbed as water. The relief it brought made me groan and she giggled.

"Your friend Clary, is awake now and throwing a tantrum about her not being able to see you"

I finished my water, sat up completely and gave her a suspicious look. "What do you mean 'is awake now'? Did something happen to her?"

Isabelle's mouth formed a tight line before she nodded. "So.. what happened?" I asked her when I realized she wouldn't be telling me the details on her own.

The room door burst open and familiar faces walked in. First came the one I labeled as 'the other guy', then "...Jace, is it?". He nodded his head and sat opposite Isabelle.

"H-how do you know his name?" The other guy asked in confusion, "Have you guys met before?"

I shook my head and smiled. "I think you're the reason for me knowing his name." He looked shocked and disbelieving, "y'know... when you shouted for him before running into Pandemonium."

Realization covered his face and he looked away. I tried to catch his gaze once more but he was reluctant. "I don't know why you're beating yourself up over that. You didn't know I could see or hear you... I assume?" He nodded his head jerkily and mumbled something under his breath.

"Speaking of seeing us..." I shifted my gaze towards Jace, "You have the sight." I rose my eyebrows.

"...The sight?" He nodded again. "Please do me the honors of explaining what 'the sight' is" I said sarcastically.

He sighed. "Do you want what the textbook says or do you want me to dumb it down?"

I looked around and laughed at the bags under their eyes and their tired faces. "Did Clary do this to you?" Isabelle chuckled and smiled. "Cause something tells me you don't—" my pity party is cut short by what feels like a pin piercing through the center of my brain. I held my head and groaned. Isabelle rushes to my side and helps me lay down again.

The headache quickly branches off to eye pain and ringing ears. So much pain was already inhibiting my body, that I didn't know I was a whopping 183 degrees.

The more I wrestled the pain, the more it hurt, so I stilled my flailing limbs and took deep breaths.

Slowly.. oh so slowly did the pain ease. It felt like hours were going by, but I knew it was just a matter of seconds. Once my body felt normal again, I slowly peeled my lids open and slammed them back shut.

What. The. Fuck. Was. That?

I mentally counted to ten before peeping through my lashes.

Swirls of gold, blue and white surrounded me. What in the angelic plain—.... Could this actually be the angelic plain? I've heard so many bible stories and folklore, but because of what happened at Pandemonium, I've started questioning everything. Sanity included.