5. Going to Hell

Chapter Four

Aiden:  

Before the van could come to a complete stop, Clary jumped out and started speed walking through the back alleys of Pandemonium. "Wha- Clary!" Simon stopped the van abruptly and went after her, leaving the rest of us to detach ourselves from one another.

Clary was leading us with speed, and being the shortest person here, meant I was practically jogging... in heels. She stopped walking and held onto her necklace. I've never seen her with that one before, must've been a birthday gift from Simon.

I changed my mind when I saw her gasp. Mr. Simon Lewis was completely human. That thing must've come from someone with supernatural power to wield.

"Dot... DOT!" She ran off once more, leaving the rest of us to follow her lead. After a few bends and turns of no one knowing where the final destination was, Jace stopped her.

"Clary. Clary, stop! Where are you going?" They stopped right under the Pandemonium sign and looked around.

Clary breathlessly answered him. "Two men, Circle members... the same ones who came to my house, who took my mom. They have Dot. They're gonna hurt her or kill her. We have to stop them!" Aaannnddd off she was again, through the Pandemonium's doors. We ran through the whole establishment and found nothing, no one. The place was completely empty.

"No. She was just trying to help me." I stopped next to Izzy and caught my breath. "Now, she's gone." There it was. Another pang in my chest. I knew the all too familiar feeling of losing family. Being the last one. Being alone.

"Clary, I'm sorry." Simon put his hand on her shoulder.

"You don't understand. Dot's like my big sister." I shook my head, catching her attention.

"I think I understand it a little too well, Clary." I whispered. A tear fell down my cheek and I cleared my throat as I wiped it away. I could feel Alec's gaze on me, but I didn't look.

"It's not safe here. We have to go back to the institute right now." This made my head snap up though.

"So, what now? Valentine has my mom and Dot, and we're just gonna give up? What about my memories? They can't just be gone?" She looked agitated. I felt agitated. I took out my phone and checked the time. It was already 11:29 p.m. We were moving too slow.

Right now, Alec needs to chose a route and stay on it. Just a couple hours ago, he was talking about following me under the bridge to meet whoever the fuck threatened Jenny and to go see the Silent Brothers... but now he wants us back at the institute ASAP? What changed his mind?

Jace spoke up, breaking the silence. "There's another option." He shrugged his shoulders and looked at Alec, then Clary, then me.

"Don't even—"
Absolutely not."

I rolled my eyes. What could the Silent Brothers help do that could be so bad? "The Silent Brothers. You were the first one to say that we're going Alec. Don't catch cold feet now."

Jace looked at me then shook his head at his adoptive siblings. "I'm not afraid of the Silent Brothers."

Clary perked up inquisitively. "Who are the Silent Brothers?"

"They're Shadowhunters with superior powers." Jace answered immediately.

"Who possess the ability to recover memories." Izzy picked up the sentence and looked at Clary daringly.

Alec stared me dead in the eyes. "A process that can also kill you, so there's that." Does he not think I'm strong enough for this?

His hostility wasn't hidden in the slightest and Simon was not happy with it. "Your bedside manner is abysmal."