Chapter 8: You Are My Angel

|| Coral ||

After Wyatt and I reached the restaurant together, we met up with our not-so-honorable, annoying bride and groom.

As far as hangouts went, it was fine. Job updates, talks about coworkers, gossip about our old high school classmates.

"How's Texas treating you, Coral?" Theo asked, and I subtly glared at him for slipping up.

He wasn't supposed to say where I lived in front of Wyatt. But then again, I guess it didn't matter anymore. It's not like Wyatt would show up at my door after the wedding was over. It's also not like he could find me. After all, Texas was huge. Thank goodness, he didn't at least say my city's name.

"Great. Way better than California ever did," I answered while eating from my Cioppino.

"I heard the tornado in Houston last month was terrible," Ara added.

This time, I dropped my spoon and glared at the couple openly. "Yes, Ara, the tornado was terrible. I felt like the roof would collapse on me. Thank you for mentioning," I said sarcastically.

"Oh, no, that's horrible. I hope your café did okay," Theo said in exaggerated consolation.

I had a clear idea as to what those two were doing. They were trying to give my information to Wyatt indirectly since I had them promise that they shouldn't go out of their way to tell Wyatt about me. Well, they weren't so 'indirect'.

"So.... you live in Houston and run a café now, huh," Wyatt commented, sounding amused from the way he received the news.

"Yep. Her café is super famous, if not the most famous," Ara said proudly.

"Why don't you mention the name as well, Ara?" I shot her a menacing tight-lipped smile which got her back to quietly slurping her Thai soup.

Wyatt chuckled quietly beside me.

I huffed and went back to my food. I thankfully managed to change the topic until we ordered our desserts.

"I'm going to the restroom. Coral, you wanna tag along?" Ara asked after she finished her dessert.

Normally, I would have said yes, but right now, I had something else in mind. "No, I'm gonna finish my sundae. You can go."

"Oh, okay."

Once Ara was out of earshot, I leaned forward on the table and whispered, "Give me your apartment key, and stay out of your apartment tomorrow until evening."

"Why in the world would I do that?" Theo raised an eyebrow incredulously.

"Though it's a little late, I'm throwing a bridal shower for Ara tomorrow at your apartment. Everything is planned, and I've invited all the guests," I informed.

"Guess I've to cancel our home date tomorrow then. But why couldn't you just say it to me earlier?" He gave me a pointed look.

"Because you can't keep secrets from her, idiot." I stuck out my tongue at him, and Theo rolled his eyes.

"Fine, I can stay out of the apartment all day, but Annabelle is still going to be home. How will you prepare everything with her present?"

"Don't you worry. The maid of honor has got that covered. I told her colleagues to call her in for an emergency in the morning," I told him smugly, raising my top's collar.

"What emergency could there be in a five-star kitchen?" Wyatt asked dryly.

I rolled my eyes. "They will think something up."