Chapter 11: If You Can't, Who Can?

|| Coral ||

A date. This is a date. Oh, my God! — these thoughts kept roaming around my head and I kept freaking out internally throughout the whole car ride.

I couldn't understand why I was acting like this. After all, it wasn't like I was a nervous teenager on a first date. I was a twenty-five-year-old grown woman going to eat breakfast with someone who happened to be my ex-boyfriend.

Yes, it was normal. No need to be nervous. Be cool and classy like always.

Easier said than done. Ugh!

"We are here," Alex, Wyatt's driver, announced.

I was about to get out of the car when I glanced at Blake. "Blake, Alex, did you have breakfast?"

Please one of you say no.

Blake was about to reply immediately but then paused as if he remembered something and said, "Yes, I already had it. Thanks for asking."

"Me too," Alex added.

I tried not to be too disappointed because nothing ever goes my way. "Oh, okay," I said and got out of the car with Wyatt.

"It's cute how you try to escape the inevitable," Wyatt said cheekily.

I jabbed him in the side and entered the café. I went ahead to the furthest corner table and sat down.

As the waitress came to take our order, before I could speak up, Wyatt said, "One latté and Americano and two blueberry pancakes."

I just stared at Wyatt.

When the waitress went away, he asked, "What?"

"Nothing." I shook my head. "It just reminded me of the past."

He smiled. "Yeah, it was what we mostly used to have for breakfast at any café."

He was right. In the case of food, we both had similar tastes and dislikes.

I nodded at him and looked around the café, especially at the way it was decorated. It gave off a cozy and warm vibe, somewhat a romantic vibe as well with its pastel shades on the wall. Though they could really work on the lightings so the photos would come out better—

"Are you surveying for your café?" Wyatt asked suddenly, catching me off-guard.

"Huh?" I was confused for a moment before I realized what I had been doing. "Oh, yeah. It sort of just became a habit. I wasn't meaning to. Sorry."

"It's okay." He gave me a smile and brought up his elbows to rest them on the table, leaning forward towards me a little. He looked me straight in the eye as he said, "So tell me about your café, Angel."

I loved it when people were actually interested to listen to me, so I started with excitement, "What do you want to know?"

"When did you start it?"

"Almost two years ago. I'm thinking of celebrating its second anniversary when I get back. My regulars have been begging for discounts on that day. Though I initially denied them, I'm planning to surprise them."

"That sounds fun. I can see why your café is popular."

"Not to beat my own drum, but yeah." I grinned.

"I'm proud of you."

My treacherous heart decided to skip a beat.

Stop being so frivolous, you stupid heart!

Wyatt looked at me strangely for a few seconds and asked in a genuine tone, "Are you enjoying yourself with it?"

I was stumped at his question. No one had asked me that before. I looked down without being able to stand his gaze and nodded vigorously. "Yes, yes, I'm enjoying myself. Every day is like an adventure."