Chapter-9: So Cute and Funny

|| Coral ||

I managed to compose myself by drowning out every thought of Wyatt by mingling with the guests who kept filling the apartment.

After thirty-five minutes of the call with Wyatt, I received a text from his unsaved number, saying to come to the basement.

Phew, thank goodness, he made it on time. Ara was supposed to get here in ten minutes and I had to be here to scream 'surprise'.

I smiled and excused myself from the guests, letting one of the bridesmaids know that I had something to take care of. I quickly took the elevator to the basement and prepared myself to meet Wyatt.

But much to my disappointment, I saw a familiar brunette instead of Wyatt. He smiled at me and held up a bag while waving at me.

"Hi, Blake." When I got near him, I peeked inside the car he was standing near, almost hoping for a speck of sand blonde. I straightened up and asked, "Where's Wyatt?"

Blake gave me an apologetic smile and said, "Um, actually, Boss was already halfway to his meeting location. He couldn't have made it on time if he himself—"

"That's why he sent his assistant instead," I murmured bitterly, earning a confused look from Blake. "Anyway, thanks a lot for coming all the way here. I really appreciate it," I told him with a big smile and took the bag containing my gift from him.

"Of course, that's my job."

I glanced at the car he stood near and remembered something Wyatt told me last night. "Did you drive here yourself?"

"Yep. Boss told me to take his car—"

"But didn't your license get seized last week?"

"Huh? When?"

Not that I didn't already know, but it was fun to get it confirmed.

"Is Wyatt's driver sick?" I brushed off his earlier question.

"Not that I know of. Why are you asking?"

I chuckled. "No reason. I have to run. You can get going as well. Thanks again. Bye." I waved at Blake and started running towards the elevator.

While I did initially feel bad that Wyatt didn't come himself, it was the result that mattered. He had even asked me, "All you need is for the gift to reach you, right?" And I had agreed to it, so it'd be unfair of me to sulk about it.

Maybe if it was the me from a couple of years ago, I would have sulked about it. But the me now knew how to express gratitude.

But in the end, what did I want?

When I got into the elevator, I took out my phone and typed, "Got it. Thanks for your help."

I got the reply just before the elevator door opened which read, "You're always welcome, Angel."

My heart skipped a beat at that.

———

The bridal shower went smoothly. We managed to give Ara a pleasant surprise and had a lot of fun for the rest of the afternoon.

I was chilling in my room while scrolling through the pictures of the sample wedding cake which I would have to pick up two days before the event itself. I made a mental note of the things I would have to do. I would have to check out the venue that was already booked and finalize the decorations the day after tomorrow. And tomorrow I would have to go and pick up Ara's wedding dress along with the bridesmaid outfits from the designer. There were also dance lessons tomorrow—