1.) In Fair Verona...

"My Lady, the King is requesting your presence." The soft voice of one of your servants grabs your attention, causing you to look up from your papers and pause your movements.

Your eyes find her standing in the doorway, clad in one of the linen dresses you gifted her last month, for her birthday.

"Thank you, Min-suh. Please tell him I'll be there in a moment." You smile as she bows to you, as respectful as ever, and quickly heads off to do what you asked. A sigh slips past your lips as you lean back in your chair and ponder on what new idiotic idea your father will suggest this time. Tensions have been escalating between your neighboring nations for months now, and you've been tasked with finding the best solution to put an end to the threats of war.

Sunlight streams in through the towering windows of your balcony, creating a haze-like aura to fill the room, and you bask in the warm glow as you rub your temples lightly. The days have seemed to stretch on as of late, all filled to the brim with talks of negotiation and strategic ploys to keep power in your family's hands, and it's all beginning to take a toll on you.

Here we go again, you mutter under your breath, before standing and following after Min-suh.

----

"Father, that's absurd!" You shout, a look of pure bewilderment on your face. "If we invite them to our kingdom, they'll overstay their welcome and their men will deplete our resources." You try to reason now, hoping he'll remember the unfortunate fate that was destined for your allies who extended a helping hand to the rival power in question.

"We have to prove to our neighbors that we're merciful and capable of peaceful interactions, Y/N. Please, see it from my perspective." He sighs, running a hand over his face as he tiredly sits back down in his throne. The material is weathered in some places, much like him -- he looks exhausted; the impending threat of war hanging over his head has aged him by 10 years at least.

You clench your jaw and look away, defeated. He has a point, but your reasons for disliking your foe run deeper than he knows. "Fine, father. But I'm only going to be civil -- nothing more. If they attempt to harass our citizens or take our supplies, they're gone. Deal?"

"Deal." He agrees, the hint of a smile playing on his thin lips. "Thank you, Y/N. This alliance has the potential to mend broken bonds with our neighbors; it could solve a lot of our issues. I know they're not the greatest people to deal with," you interrupt his little monologue with a scoff, shaking your head lightly, "but we can't deny the advantages that they have. Besides, if we can get some of our people in their court, perhaps we could change them for the better, no?"

You put your hands on your hips as you turn to face him, mulling over his proposal. "Perhaps, father. I can ask my best negotiators to meet with them and attempt to influence them. When will they be here?"

"The king and queen will be here in a few days, but our scouts have informed us that Princess Roseanne and her aunt will arrive by nightfall." You nod and begin to pace lightly as you set up a plan of action in your mind. "And Y/N," your father starts, "I've already arranged for you to greet her at the gates. Taehee and a few of the other staff will accompany you, but that's all -- we can't afford to give them grandeur welcomings with the threats floating around. If enemy spies know the royals are here without their army, they might attack."

You clear your throat to rid it of the noise of disapproval that almost slipped out, deciding to be more mature and just listen to your father. As much as you hate the Park family for what they did to you, you wouldn't want them to die at the hands of someone else; you plan to get revenge in other ways.

"Alright, father. I'll get ready to go down."

"Thank you again, my girl. You've always been the most level-headed of us all," he chuckles, standing up from his throne and approaching his large wooden desk. The shiny polish that adorns the dark material adds an appearance of luxury, as does every other piece of furniture in his room. It's a bit suffocating, if you're honest; you prefer to have a room that you feel at home and comfortable in. This flashy array of items doesn't entice you in the slightest.

Perhaps that's why the two of you butt heads so often -- the divide between you even trickles down to how you design your bedrooms.

"Goodbye, father. I'll return later." You bid him farewell, not wasting time with unnecessary conversation as you slip out into the hall. It may seem cold, how you treat him, but your relationship is complicated, to say the least. He shows his affection when it's convenient for him, and spends the rest of his time arguing with you over how best to run the kingdom. You're tasked with taking on the brunt of the responsibilities and coming up with effective methods of solving your people's problems, and yet he takes credit for nearly every idea you implement. Put kindly, it's frustrating.

Regardless, that's something to worry about at another time. For now, your mind is already overflowing with potential ways for you to paint yourself when you meet Roseanne. Should you convince her that you're the kind-hearted, demure daughter of the king? Or perhaps the outspoken princess who demands justice? The possibilities are endless, but one thought prevails over all else: this'll be fun