11.) Revenge

The Next Morning

The soft pitter-patter of water can be heard from outside the small window of your cell, lulling you out of your restless slumber. You instinctively go to rub your eyes and remove the blindfold, but soon your movements are halted by the thick rope wound tightly around your wrists.

You wince in pain; you must've fought like hell last night, because your skin is raw and sensitive around the material. Your legs are bound to the chair as well, giving you little way of getting free of your confines.

"Rosé?" You whisper, your voice coming out a bit gravelly and deeper than normal since you just woke up.

"I'm here, baby."

You sigh in relief, releasing some of the tension in your shoulders at the sound of her soothing voice.

"Are you alright?"

She turns her head to the sound of your voice, finding a feeling of safety in the familiar tone of it.

"Just a couple cuts here and there, but I'm fine. Are you?"

"Yeah, same here," you lie, gritting your teeth when another ache runs through your body. The last thing you need is for Rosé to be worried about you. The pain in your stomach reminds you of the beating you received from the guards back at the marketplace, and your hatred for them is fanned even more.

"Ah, you're awake." Someone new says, a filthy smile clear in his voice. "Lieutenant, come quick."

Heavy footfalls echo out across the otherwise silent space, growing louder and louder as they near you. A door opens somewhere in the hall, you think, and more men follow behind.

"Go grab them," a deep voice says, signaling for his guards to enter the cell. The bars creak and groan as they're pulled open, and soon you're being lifted into the air, chair and all.

"Take them to the throne room."

---

Upon having your chair sat down on the ground again, the blindfold is tugged off of your face. You wince at the bright sunlight streaming into the room, blinking a few times to get adjusted before the sound of Hyun's voice grabs your attention.

"Sleep well?" He smirks, reclining casually in your father's throne. You're momentarily relieved to see that Soomin respectfully chose to forgo your mother's throne, opting to sit in yours instead.

You turn your head to him after checking on Rosé, making sure she doesn't have any visible bruises or cuts. "Mhm, your daughter kept me company."

His expression hardens at that, not expecting you to be brazen. "Say something like that again and you won't survive the next beating."

"Father--"

"Shut up, Roseanne. I don't need any comments from you."

"Don't talk to her like that." You seethe, not caring about his threat. If protecting Rosé's honor means you get beaten a little harder, so be it; it's a price you're willing to pay.

"Did you not hear what I said?" He cocks his head to the side before motioning to his men. "Perhaps you need to be reminded. Guards, go on."

Two burly men approach you, wrapping something around their wrists to stabilize them. One of them steps forward first, the one of a higher rank, you assume, and pulls his fist back, ready to hit you.

"Oh, one more thing: turn Rosé's chair so she can watch. She needs to see what happens to people that don't know their place."

You clench your jaw and lock eyes with her as they reposition her, saying, "Baby, just close your eyes. You don't need to see this."