2.) A Royal Welcome

In lieu of the usually loud trumpets that signal the arrival of guests to the kingdom, a line of your finest guards borders the edge of the long cobble road that leads to your palace

In lieu of the usually loud trumpets that signal the arrival of guests to the kingdom, a line of your finest guards borders the edge of the long cobble road that leads to your palace. They all salute the incoming carriage and bow as it passes, creating a rippling effect in the process.

"Cheer up, Y/N," your childhood nanny, Taehee, says as she nudges your chin up with her finger. She practically raised you, seeing as how she stepped in to fill your mother's shoes when she passed away. Your father grew distant when it happened, so you've relied on Taehee from a young age; she's always been your closest confidant.

"Yah," you softly groan, pushing her hand away like a child. "I never agreed to be happy about this, you know."

"I know," she affirms, watching as the horses slowly trot their way towards you. "But I think you'll like the princess, if you give her a chance." She glances at you with a kind look in her eye before adding, "She's only a girl, Y/N. Just like you aren't the same as some of your family members, neither is she; not all of them are bad."

You purse your lips in thought as you take in her words. She's the only person you really care enough about to listen to, and she hasn't led you astray yet. "Alright, Taehee. But only because you seem to be all-knowing, somehow," you grin, attempting to lighten the mood.

"It's just because I'm so old," she grimaces, pretending to hunch over in pain. For someone of her age, she's still incredibly agile and healthy. For that, you're thankful; you wish she could live forever.

"Yeah yeah," you dismiss her with a scoff, rolling your eyes. "You don't look a day over 60." Her smile softens when she sees the kind look in your gaze, and you pull her in for a quick hug. "I love you, kid."

"Love you too, Tae."

You clasp your hands behind your back as the carriage comes to a stop ahead of you, rubbing your wrist in small circles to soothe yourself. Your mother always used to do that, and it's been a habit that you picked up ever since. It's times like these that her presence is so sorely missed; she was always the greatest at introductions, and she made every guest feel welcome.

A few of the guards break away from their previous position to approach the vehicle and announce the royals' entrance. They place their hands on the intricately detailed latches, only opening the doors once the shuffling from inside stops and they get the all clear.

"From our southern border, we welcome Princess Roseanne Park, of the Park Kingdom. She is accompanied by her aunt, Duchess Chun-hwa." The highest lieutenant informs while holding his hand out for assistance. The first one out is Roseanne, and you nearly lose your breath when she comes into view.

 The first one out is Roseanne, and you nearly lose your breath when she comes into view