6.) Tensions & Table Talk

A Few Days Later

A knock at your door rudely interrupts your sulking, and you huff loudly when you hear Taehee call out from the other side. You love her to death, but you're not exactly in the mood for visitors.

You begrudgingly make yourself decent as she slips into the room, releasing a very energized Hank onto the floor. He bounds over to your sad frame, making quick work of jumping up onto the bed and approaching you.

"He misses you, Y/N," she says, carefully sitting down in the oak chair beside your bed. "As does the princess," she adds after a moment, glancing up at you to gauge your reaction. Although she doesn't know the specifics behind your argument, it's still easy for her to see that something happened. Neither of you have been seen together around the palace for a few days now, choosing instead to lock yourselves away in your rooms or stay as far away from each other as possible.

On the occasions that you'd sneak out to grab a snack or take a walk outside and coincidentally run into each other, one of you would always bow and leave, not wanting to intrude.

"Yeah, well," you start, realizing halfway through that you don't exactly know how to finish your sentence. You can't tell her of the suspected betrayal yet in the off chance that Rosé was telling the truth, because that would only cause panic and end in disaster.

For now, you've decided to wait things out and see if Rosé's intentions were actually true.

"But don't worry, I didn't come here to pester you about that. Your father is hosting a dinner tonight, and he's inviting all of the Parks to join. He wants you to come as well; everyone's a little worried about you."

You squeeze your eyes shut and lay your head back against your pillow, cursing under your breath. Your duty to the kingdom will always come first, and you don't want to create any doubts concerning your loyalty; that fact annoys you sometimes, though you know it's inescapable.

"Fine. When is it?"

"Not for a couple more hours." She says, watching as Hank licks your cheek in big strokes, making you grimace and wipe your face.

"Alright, alright." You sigh, sitting up as he rolls over onto his back in your lap.

"You're lucky you're cute, you know that?" He seems to smile at your words, barking softly afterwards.

"Why thank you," Taehee jests, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

"Yah!" You laugh, looking up at her as you toss one of your pillows at her. "The dog, Tae."

"Shhh," she dismisses, wiggling a finger in your direction. "Just get ready, kid."

You roll your eyes and giggle, giving Hank another pet and wrapping Taehee into a quick hug before heading off to your washroom.

----

Throngs of waiters and waitresses rush about, all caught up with their duties as they work hard to set everything up for your dinner. You can hear the hustle and bustle of their movements as you make your way down the grand staircase, clad in an ornate blouse and dress pants with black boots to match.

"Ah, there's my girl." Your father declares from across the foyer, quickly excusing himself from his previous conversation with one of the chefs to approach you.

"Hi, dad." You smile, happy to see him for once. He's a simple creature, as most men tend to be, and his presence offers a reprieve from your complex situation with Rosé. He's been better as of late, be it in the gentleness of his tone or how he actually credits you for your ideas, and you're relieved for such a change.