three

With the coffee freshly brewed, (Name) tipped the spout of the pot into her cup, pouring the dark liquid into the cup. She replaced the pot, leaving plenty for Korra.

She grabbed the powder sweetener from the cabinet and poured in a spoonful. Not much was needed, just a little to make the bitter taste more pleasant.

She then stirred the powder into the hot coffee, letting it dissolve before placing the spoon in the sink and taking a slow sip, careful not to burn her tongue.

The young adult made her way from the kitchen, taking slow, easy steps on the hardwood. She had no where she had to be. No work today. No priorities this early in the morning. She’d make breakfast later.

Right now, all she wanted to do was drink her coffee and soak in the beautiful morning. She moved back to the window, the radiance of the sun blinding her for a moment before warmth spread over her.

She cast her gaze down on the bustling city. Cars honking at pedestrians, their patience running thin. Street walkers quickly moved down the dirty sidewalk carrying briefcases or purses.

Time didn’t stop for everyone. Only the lucky few who got to live a moment in peace. The ground was covered in a thin layer of snow caked in dirty footprints and spit out gum.

If she didn’t work in the office downtown, she’d never choose to live in a city, even if it was beautiful. She remembered the day her and Korra made the decision to live in the city.

It wasn’t an easy one. Both fresh out of college, neither liking the city or people very much, but a necessary living choice for a young couple just starting out. (Name’s) degree in business wouldn’t get her very far outside of the city and Korra’s degree in education would be much better used in a city desperate for teachers, so desperate they’d hire just about anyone off the streets.

So they’d began searching for jobs, quickly finding them here, in the big city. (Name) started working in a toy company in the statistics section and Korra started at the local elementary school as a second grade teacher.

They’d found a lofty apartment halfway between both their workplaces. Close enough to walk to and from every day. Close enough for Korra to pick (Name) up from work some days, specifically on anniversaries or random dates.

(Name) supposed those days made living in the city bearable.