six

(Name) brought the coffee cup back to her lips, taking a long, satisfying sip, letting the flavor savor on her tongue. They’d been married in this very apartment building. They hadn’t been the same since.

They got smiles from people who had witnessed the wedding. Happy wishes from the managers that had made it all happen. The wedding was iconic, and (Name) wouldn’t have had it any other way.

The floorboards creaked slightly and (Name) glanced up, watching a shadowy figure make their way slowly down the hall of doors and into the living room where (Name) stood.

"Good morning,” Korra mumbled, voice still thick with sleep.

(Name) smiled, giving the woman a nod in greeting.

“There’s coffee in the kitchen,” she said.

Korra nodded, walking passed her and into the kitchen where (Name) heard a bit of rustling following the pouring of coffee into a cup.

Her life was perfect. She had an amazing wife who loved her more than anything. A sweet baby still fast asleep. A job she still loved. In a city that was growing on her.

She had everything she could ever want. She took another sip from her cup as her eyes caught the side view of a woman wrapped in a fluffy coat, hurrying down the streets carrying a gentle green blanket wrapped close around a baby resting in her arms.

(Name) pitied the woman. Attempting to keep herself and her baby warm and safe in the city. Probably hurrying off for a daycare with the child. (Name) was not envious of her.

Obviously alone in a city with a child she would give anything to protect. She knew what that felt like. Loving someone so much you would give them anything or do anything for them.

It had been like that since the day Korra and her brought their angel home from the hospital.