A Slice of Normal

(Carter)

Blinking a few times to clear away the drowsiness, I frowned as I stared up at the beige coloured ceiling. The sunlight was filtering into the room through the window, the curtains drawn back slightly but not nearly enough to reach the bed and disturb my sleep.

Strange. I hadn't drawn the curtains, last night nor had I awoken at any point to do so.

The air-conditioning was so silent, had it not been for the coolness that pinched at my cheeks and arms, I'd have never known it was on.

I had slept comfortably last night, and it was probably one of the best naps I'd ever had. There were no nightmares, and no thoughts of doubt to keep me awake.

Yawning widely, I stretched and sat up at the centre of the bed, sticking my hand under my t-shirt and beginning the usual morning routine of scratching. Ruffling my hair as I continued, I then rubbed at my eyes and glanced around the room smacking my lips together to rid away the extra sleepiness.

By the sunlight coming in through the window and illuminating the space, I could guess that it was around nine in the morning. The multiple gift boxes, balloons, and gift bags were still untouched and a faint scent that reminded me of my mate, lingered in the air. Probably because all the gifts had been in the same room with him and this was the suite, he used during each visit to Ivy Rose.

Remembering that he was downstairs, I knew I had to get out of bed and find out if there'd been any changes in his condition while I slept. However, as I made a move to roll off the bed, kicking off the blanket, the toilet in the adjoining bathroom suddenly flushed.

I came to an immediate halt, my hand still clutching the duvet as the sound of running tap water followed.

Don't tell me that...

There was the light shuffle of bare feet hitting the tiled floor and the door swung open.

The person walked out of the bathroom and suddenly slowed catching sight of me wide awake and sitting up. I could say nothing as my eyes danced over his form dressed in black joggers and a loose muscle shirt of the same colour.

It hadn't been a lingering scent.

At least, I'm hoping it wasn't and that he's really stood before me. After the torturous hours I'd spent feeling my mind slowly splitting in half, I need to reach out and touch him just to confirm that he wasn't a figment of my imagination. That this wasn't some cruel, twisted dream.

He stopped and turned his body to face me, a coy smile curling at his lips, but the confidence in those icy blue eyes betrayed those coy mannerisms. He looked the perfect combination of confident, sly, and bashful. Very different than how he'd been for most of the time we'd been together.

"Beehive-"

"Well?" he said, his voice sweet like honey and music to my ears.

My heart skipped a beat, his voice doing things to me and tugging at the mate bond that roared to life.

I watched as he clasped his hands behind his back and rocked on his heels for a moment. Then, he glanced at me and tilted his head in the sweetest possible manner.

"Are you going to sit there and stare or are you going to come hold me?"

Tossing the duvet, I practically sprinted toward him loving how his face lit up so brightly at my approach. Hell! He was already throwing his arms around me as I stepped into his embrace, clearly as elated for our reunion. Without wasting a moment, I swept him up into my arms as he wrapped his legs around my waist.