Anxiety Attacks

(Bennett)

"B? I know you're in there. Please open up." Jaxon begged.

I couldn't. It hurt too much. He would never understand what it felt like to hear those words fall from the lips of your mate, or someone you knew would be. And the hurt multiplied if you were already in love with that person.

Jaxon had turned sixteen weeks ago, and it was confirmed that my twin was his mate. Bentley was ecstatic and couldn't wait until our birthday to feel the bond. And since our birthday was now only days away, Bentley was beginning to feel a pull toward Jaxon.

It happened if mates were close before they turn sixteen. Naturally, we knew that said person would be our mate.

So what went wrong with me?

I was feeling the pull of the mate bond, my sixteenth birthday just around the corner. I was his mate. I knew it. He knew it because he was older by at least three months.

He'd known for that long and all this time, he thought so lowly of me? His words stung.

Even if he didn't say it directly to my face, hearing it hurt just as much. I can't believe this is the guy I'd been madly in love with the last six or seven years.

It happened in the gym. I was never going to confess my feelings for him for two reasons. I didn't want to embarrass myself if he didn't feel the same way. And second, I'd rather have him as a friend than make him disgusted or hate me.

But looks like I didn't need to try either way.

Chester saw me as nothing. I wasn't important to him.

We'd been in the training studio, Jaxon and I, practicing a few offensive and defensive moves, sparring back and forth. The training studio had an adjoining workout room, and then on the other side was the locker rooms and showers. To get to the showers, I would have had to pass by the gym.

And I did.

And regretted ever eavesdropping. But the sound of his voice was like a siren's song to my ears, and unknowingly, I had drifted toward the source, straying off path and ducking behind the wall from where Chester sat at a pec deck machine.

While he worked out, he was conversating with another Black Rock pack mate, and unfortunately, one of my bullies. But thankfully, he was one of the few who didn't throw punches. Just sharp words that cut deeper than any blade or bullet.

"I forgot to ask," Seth- the bully- began, making Chester glance up at him for a split second.

I didn't pay much attention to their conversation, too focused on how amazing Chester looked, his expression contorted in concentration. A sheer coat of sweat covered his neck, shoulders, making his biceps pop every time he drew the bars closer.

It was too much for my heart.

"Some of the guys were wondering if you'd found your mate. I mean, you don't act like it and we sort of had this going bet between you and Jaxon."

Chester laughed but his concentration didn't break. I was all ears now.

At that moment, I felt something bubble up in me that captivated my focus drawing me to pay close attention.

"What exactly is this bet?"

"That you and Jaxon would find your mates at sixteen. Jaxon did. I'm kind of betting on you too." Seth admitted, and I frowned.

Really? That's what they do in their spare time? If they're not targeting Bentley and me, training, or sleeping around like a bunch of whores, they're making bets on who's gonna be whose mate. They really need to get hobbies.