Beta Mate

(Carter)

Something was wrong.

He was fine when he left class to use the bathroom. His anxiety had suddenly started to spike and that was a red flag I couldn't easily ignore. Plus, he was taking far too long to return from a bathroom that was literally down the corridor and around the corner.

The longer I sat there, the more his anxiety grew and at the sudden wave of fear that washed over me, that did it for me. I couldn't sit there any longer and listen to the teacher go on and on about graphing inequalities when I am sure my mate was somewhere on school grounds in trouble and very much afraid.

I didn't care that we were only allowed to go to the bathroom one person at a time, or that the teacher was questioning why I suddenly got up and was exiting the classroom.

"Mr. Hayes!" he barked, moving forward to intercept my pathway but with one menacing flash of my eyes that dared him to challenge a higher ranking wolf regardless of pack, he submitted. He nodded and allowed me to leave.

I made haste toward the bathroom and rounded the corner, my sneakers scuffing against the floor as Bennett's anxiety had reached an all time toxic high and the pungent odor of lust hung in the air meeting me where I stood a few footsteps away.

"Get off-" came his strangled cry his voice carrying a notable tremble that was so unlike my Beehive. It propelled me forward and I didn't bother taking any time to mentally prepare for what I was to find. Pushing the door open and walking in so that the door didn't slam shut in my face, my steps came to an immediate halt as my gaze landed on the scene before me.

I could feel control steadily slipping away, my muscles already tightening.

From anger and bloodlust or my struggle to stay in control, it really didn't matter at this moment. It made my blood boil seeing how that motherfucker had my mate pinned against the tiled wall, Bennett's thighs parted, and Pike's knee buried between them. Or how Pike had his fingers so tightly wrapped around my mate's neck that his hand seemed to meld into Bennett's skin. My blood boiled hot making me seethe like a rampaging bull seeing Pike's face hovering so closely to what's mine and dragging his disgusting tongue so dangerously close to my mate's mouth.

Bennett had his hands tightly gripped over Pike's and seemed to be in the middle of a struggle trying to get away. The bastard came to a halt, pulling his tongue away from my mate as he snapped his gaze over to me and a gloating gleam entered his eyes.

"Hayes." Pike taunted smirking as he did so holding onto my mate tighter, leaning into him. An audible whimper escaped Bennett making me snap my gaze to his teary eyed one and the fear and helpless I saw there was enough to drive me insane.

"Came to watch? Or you want a piece, too? I don't mind sharing. He was feisty before too and that hasn't changed. Reminds me of why we enjoyed fucking him."

Before?

His words sliced me, and my gaze flickered between the two; the taunting, smug aura that shrouded Pike and the self-hatred I felt from my own mate.

"Let go of him, you sick bastard!" I growled out, stalking forward as the beast that dwelled inside howled out in a thirst for blood, mixing dangerously with anger and pain. My fists were clenched, and the beast clawed at the surface wanting out. Goddess knows I would give anything to shift and for the first time, I would throw the rules out the window, but I stopped short when my foot hit something sending it skidding across the tiled floor.

I frowned at the unusual object to find in a school bathroom but then I noticed the millimeter of odd blue liquid and I snapped my glare back to them.