5| shadow of doubt

THE PACK STOOD AT THE CORNER OF THE HOSPITAL'S CROWDED GROUND FLOOR. They awaited Lydia's medical report to be announced to them, contrary to hospital rules, by Ms. McCall. Melissa approached the group of teenagers perturbedly. "It could've been worse." She bobbed her head towards Theo. "Nice going with that tourniquet. You probably saved her life." Juliette stood opposite to Stiles, and caught the glance he cast towards Theo, although she couldn't quite comprehend what he was thinking. "Alright, she's about to go through a surgery, so it's going to be a while. Any other supernatural details that I need to know about, or do we just stitch her up and hope for the best?"

"Tracy cut her with her tail, if that makes a difference." Scott said, and watched his mother struggle to grasp that bit of information, but nodding and walking away.

"But it wasn't just Tracy." Malia reminded them. "There were the others. The guys in the masks."

Juliette, in an ungainly and unconvincing manner, nodded towards Malia's direction. When she turned to Stiles, she guessed he didn't quite believe her either. When one undergoes a violent fight, they tend to eliminate the memories from their head or remain in denial on how much they hurt the other person. If Malia hasn't gotten more and more vaguer on details, Juliette might've believed her— and she wanted to, as well, but no amount of desperate self convincing helped her see past her suspicions.

"Well, they won't let us in for the surgery." Scott stated evidently. "And school's only in a few hours, so... I guess we should all go. I'll tell my mom to call me if anything happens, but Lydia needs to rest after the surgery too."

        "Am I the only person here that thinks this is ridiculous?" Juliette exclaimed. "I don't know whether to worry about the dead kanima, Lydia's surgery, or the AP Chem homework I should've done today except I haven't because I was paralysed from kanima venom–"

       Stiles leaned in and clutched her arm. "It's fine, i'll help you with your chemistry homework–"

       "That's sweet, but you only passed chemistry in junior year was because you sat next to Kira the entire semester." Juliette's gaze roamed to his slashed shirt, and she took a weary step back. "Your— you're, uh... bleeding. You're bleeding." She said, cajoling herself that she hasn't noticed it before.

       She pulled him away from the group, and Stiles couldn't comprehend that she was pulling him it another room until they were halfway there. "Where are we going?" Before she could answer, she pushed through the men staff bathroom. "Jules?"

"She cut you with her tail." Juliette stated, the monotony of her voice throwing him off. She directed him to the chair near the sink, and he sat down.

Stiles looked down at the slash on his shirt, and his face darkened in realisation. "The blood dried, it's fine." He examined her as she took a towel by the sink and dipped it into the hot water.

"It's not fine." Juliette edged nearer to him, the soaked towel in her hands. She elbowed him to sit back down on the chair, then kneeled down to reach his eye level. "Shirt." She pointed.

He looked up, puzzled. "What?"

"Take off your shirt." She elaborated, watching his cheeks warm as he nodded and began to take his shirt off. She couldn't quite believe they've been together for a year and he'd still blush at that, even with the open wound in this chest. Juliette allowed herself the smallest of smiles at that.

There was a comforting silence as she dabbed the towel against the wound, and him hissing in return. "Sorry." She jerked her hand back, then started by washing off the dried blood around the wound. She glanced up at him, catching his gaze. "What?"