6| lost souls

"IN A SMALL ENGLAND TOWN, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive." Juliette read the back cover of the book she held. It was titled; The Dread Doctors, and they all believed they were the people in the masks, the ones creating and killing the chimeras. Juliette, Stiles and Lydia seemed to be the only three out of their group not yet to encounter the Dread Doctors, leaving Juliette selfishly in denial about the danger. "Days later, they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the Dread Doctors."

      "Sounds vaguely familiar," Lydia leaned against the locker. She had recovered from her surgery, and thankfully the doctor said she was well enough to go back to attending school after a short while. "How does it end?"

     "It doesn't." Malia, being the only one that has read the book, answered. "This is supposed to be volume one. I think we're living volume two."

      Lydia turned around to Juliette, noticing how off the girl was. She had her gaze fixed on the students that passed the hallway, in search of Stiles. "Jules," Lydia called, breaking Juliette's eye contact on the crowd of students. "What do you think?"

     "I think before we plan on wasting our time reading it, we should at least look for a movie adaptation." She suggested nonchalantly. "Or, like, an audiobook or something." She turned back to Lydia. "But you're the banshee here, so what do you think?"

      With a heavy sigh, she looked down at the book. "I think we should figure out if this is a novel, or... someone's prediction."

      Juliette grabbed the book, flipping through the pages. "So the author used a pen name? G.B. Vale." She began counting as she went through the book. "And this is must have been self published, and there's only a few copies that we know of, so there's no way to trace it back to the author." She flipped to the last page of the book to see how many pages they were, and froze at the acknowledgments.

       Lydia studied the girl's shocked reaction. "What is it?"

      "The acknowledgments at the end of the book," She furrowed her eyebrows, then began to recite; "For providing scientific perspective and invaluable insight, this book is dedicated to Dr. Gabriel Valack."

     Malia's eyes flickered from Juliette to Lydia and back and forth, waiting for an explanation. "What, who is that?" She asked. "Should we research where we could find him?"

      "No need," Juliette handed the book back to Malia. "I already know where he is."

       Lydia shook her head when she recognised the look on Juliette's face. "Oh, I know that look." She groaned. "You are not going to Eichen House."

      "No, you're not going. I think you should be on at least a one week probation from any supernatural events. Especially after a kanima-werewolf chimera almost killed you and your mom." She pointed to Lydia. "But Scott, Kira and I will. I'm sure Deaton can pull a few strings and get someone to let us in the closed unit."

      "And Stiles?" Lydia added.

      Stiles, whom she hasn't spoken too since last night when he left her in the library. Juliette felt her stomach turn remembering that day, remembering the eerie night at the hospital alone before she ran into Theo, and being so sure that Stiles had been in danger. She sent a voicemail to the Sheriff before she drifted off to sleep, warning him about Donovan's escape, but there was still no updates on the case.

      "No." She shook her head. "He'd talk me out of it. I'd rather if we just... refrain from telling him about Eichen."