9| poison study

I WILL NOT REPENT, Juliette affirmed, continuously reminding herself to set her agony aside and survival first and foremost– no matter the cost. And if worst comes to worse, Juliette had Stiles to think of. If she was on the verge of death, she was fervent not to drag him down with her, but she didn't have to detach herself so soon.

    She paced around the animal clinic in small circles besides the druid. "And this'll work?" Her hands pressed against the table, staring blatantly at the jar of grass species on the centre.

"I've never dealt with an amplifier before, Juliette, this is all new to me, but..." Deaton was gaping at the jar in his hands, hesitant. "I believe so. But even then, it's a risk. This plant was created from the blood of a Nogitsune to be used against a Nogitsune. It'll drive the part of the Nogitsune living inside of you until you find a more efficient solution."

     Swallowing a wave of nausea, she nodded. "How much every day?"

    "I'll divide them into fragments, but Juliette," His voice was now cautionary. "No more than what I allocate, or the side affects might be out of my erudition. I can't guarantee you a result, it's all a risk. All your energy will be built on blocking him out, so your powers won't be the same. You need to determine whether it's worth poisoning yourself for."

    Poisoning herself was not ideal, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

She shook her head fervently. "It looks like i'm dying either way, so it being poisonous isn't really a big concern of mine. And besides, my powers stopped working long before then. Ever since the Dread Doctors. Void, he— he said something about them feeding off of my supernatural energy, almost replacing me."

"The Nogitsune is a trickster, Juliette." He said warily. "Dead or not, it's his nature."

She considered it for a brief moment. She's known him to be a trickster, but he couldn't have been lying about this, can he? Deaton was immensely distraught by her troubling, more so than she's ever seen him express before. It worried her that he looked more distressed than she did.

    "Is he here now?" Juliette dreaded the fateful question.

    Out of the corner of her eye loomed the silhouette of a wry Nogitsune. Sometimes, she could only see him in glimpses. Feel his presence, his aura, his imprint on her, but not visually see his form.  Other times, such as her entire ride to the animal clinic, she could hear his derisive whispers. "Yes." She simplified. 

Deaton wasn't sure what to say, and so he remained silent. He slid the first dose of poison across the table, landing firmly underneath her hand. Juliette gaped at the small piece of grass, inserting it into the glass of water.

    "One last time..." She said abruptly, letting go of the jar and shooting her gaze to him. "The side affects. What are they?"

    "Scott, Malia, Lydia, Kira... they won't be as strong without your amplifying presence." Deaton cautioned her. "You can still attempt to amplify them in dire situations through physical contact, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'll most probably lose sleep," Consider that done, she thought. "And your emotions... well, you'll be on edge."

She nodded solemnly, clutching onto the glass of water with the poison and swallowing down in one motion. She set the glass down sharply, clearing her throat.

Juliette spun on her heel, her eyes circling the room. Nothing. No sign and him. And yet... she wasn't as relieved as she anticipated.

"Before I go.." She stopped in her tracks to turn to him. This time, she was nervous. "All the death omens happened for the last one to, right? Broken time, shift in power, and... the purity omen." She finished off. "When I killed the Chemist, during the whole deadpool situation... did it count?"