- IX. -

[B i r m i n g h a m , 1 9 1 9]

Zara was getting suspicious. John had dragged her from her father's office to the Garrison, and refused to tell her what was going on. Her best friend kept pacing the snug, and it was driving Zara mental. Arthur just sat in silence, also confused by his brother's behavior.

"Sit the fuck down, John. You're starting to piss me off." she spat.

"Sorry, Zar. 'M nervous, that's all." John replied, finally taking a seat across from Zara.

"What's wrong with you? Why did you drag me here?" she asked, lighting a cigarette.

"Tommy and Pol will be here soon, then I'll tell you. I just needed you here first." John shrugged, downing another whiskey.

Zara narrowed her eyes, but didn't say anything, instead turning her attention to Tommy and Polly who entered the small room. Tommy pressed a small kiss to the top of Zara's head before sitting down next to her, while Polly took a seat next to John.

"All right, John. There's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling you?" Tommy asked, taking a drag of Zara's cigarette.

John cleared his throat nervously. "Well, Polly, Zara, you know what it's been like since Martha died."

Polly leaned over the table and took John's hands in her own, sympathetically. "God takes the best first." Zara nodded in agreement.

"Truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours." John continued.

"Pol, give him ten bob for some shoes. Is that it, John?" Tommy interrupted, eager for this meeting to be over.

"Tommy, we'd be better doing this without you." Zara said, making Tommy quiet down.

"Now what's your point?" Polly asked.

John looked at his hands as he took a deep breath. "What the kids need is a mother. So, that's why I'm getting married. I wanted to ask you first, Zar, but Tommy would have my head." Tommy grunted in agreement.

"Does this poor girl know you're going to marry her, or are you going to spring it on her all of a sudden?" Polly asked, mildly concerned.

"I've already proposed, and she said yes." John continued.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Tommy said, lighting his own cigarette, after Zara hit him for taking hers.

John took another drink before continuing. "It's um....Lizzie Stark."

Tommy and Arthur erupted into laughter. Zara composed herself, feeling sorry for John's lack of support.

"John, Lizzie Stark's a strong woman and I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers." Polly began to laugh along with her nephews.

"I won't hear that word! Understand? Do not use that word." John yelled, slamming his hand on the table.

"What word is that John?" Tommy taunted.

"You know what word that is." John said, trying to control his temper.

"Everybody bloody knows." Arthur started laughing again.

"Everybody can go to hell."

Tommy shrugged, "Whore, that word? Or prostitute? How about that one"

"Tommy, enough." Zara said, glaring at the man. He was supposed to be John's brother and the lack of support was disappointing Zara greatly.

"Right, I want it known that if anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word back down into their hearts." John yelled again.